Gerson Lehrman Group - Grow with a Growing Company | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Hours are intense but work life balance is good compared to other finance/consulting type roles" (in 36 reviews)

• "Very collaborative work environment" (in 30 reviews)

Cons

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Grow with a Growing Company"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always say it feels good to work for a company that's doing well and GLG is on something like its 10th+ quarter of consecutive growth. That success is reflected in the fast-paced, ever-changing nature of the work which (in my experience) leads to an unparalleled level of stimulation (and requires some patience, which other reviews point out). Given growth, it also feels like everyone is working towards the same thing - people are collegial and nice, and collaboration is increasing. I've had several jobs and this is one of the few places that no one raised their voice at me. And even more refreshing, people aren't just nice - they are interested... in your perspective, in your contributions, and in your life outside of work. Everyone - top down - is interested in new, big ideas, and willing to experiment. They are well-positioned to continue to succeed, and I'm very bullish about the impact they'll have on the business world. Oh, and the offices are so nice! People (especially disgruntled reviewers) mention that as a throw away point but nice offices matter and reflect GLG's investment in its employees.

Cons

Rapid growth is mostly good, but it means a lot of change and sometimes it's not implemented as seamlessly as it can be. Also, while I didn't work in client services - I recognize those jobs could be both intense (like every account management job) and monotonous, but I do believe you learn a lot of transferable skills. The reviews here that refute that are too cynical. And those who say no one goes anywhere interesting after GLG is just plain wrong - people go on to hedge funds, tech companies , nonprofits, etc. Finally, while there's a lot of diversity of background at GLG, there's not a lot of true diversity -- especially on the leadership team and board. You can't change the culture to be more inclusive, or make campus / mid-level hires more diverse if you don't fix that.

Advice to Management

Prioritize diversity and inclusion (especially when it comes to senior hires, and on the board), continue to be communicative, recognize that not everyone is having a good experience and do what you can to help those who aren't happy (e.g. provide career transition services; anonymous HR coaching, etc.)

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Be positive. When you've hit rock bottom, you can only go up!"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in this environment really helped me come to terms with my mental health when I'm at an all time low. I was in a pretty unhealthy relationship with my manager. Her criticism made me feel very depressed, and unfortunately, high key micromanaging is beneficial to profit so her behavior kept up very consistently. As a young professional, I've never learned to confront a manager or talk to HR about concerns, and while I put in effort to learn how, I wasn't taken seriously. But that's ok, the company has a lot of issues to work out, and they just choose not to focus on how they treat their people AS MUCH as most everything else (that's not to say they aren't trying - they are!).

Anyways, the depression I was in forced me to learn how to put my foot down, draw a line between work and life, and find coping methods to deal with incredibly stressful life events such as the extreme stress you experience in this job. I've worked in an ER and never felt as stressed as when I worked here to such little benefit/reward.

I look at this as a learning opportunity. If you want to push your stress levels to the limit, see how much it takes you to crack, feel the pull of demanding clients from every direction around the clock, then step up to the plate. You won't be let down by GLG

If you're looking for a job to start your career, but do not feel like you want the above, I might suggest starting somewhere else. This role is not for the average Joe.

Cons

I wish the company would advertise the incredible amount of stress and long working hours of this role. There are too many unsuspecting new grads or young professionals that don't understand their own limits and take on this job to find their physical or mental health in check. It's true that they provide the app Talkspace, although this doesn't tend to help the majority of people in the role who can't commit enough time to benefit from this tool.

Due to the long working hours, we were asked to choose "1 activity per week" outside of work - choose wisely. At first I chose tv and then ultimately switched to meditation when I was getting very depressed. I did have a friend who had gone to HR due to a laps in mental health and she was kindly asked to leave the company and seek a better fitting role since they couldn't help her.

Advice to Management

I hope y'all take a step back and look at the sand castle your building, the tide is about to come in.

"Meritocracy, that isn't."

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Quantitative Insights in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Quantitative Insights in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not so much as "pros" to the job as "neutrals".

The biggest takeaway is that you spend so much time with the people you work with that you end up becoming good friends. That could be in part because of the shared misery, and also because the company does seem to make an effort to hire people who are interesting. If you end up on a team of good, honest people, who are willing to engage in light-hearted banter to make the monotony of the day-to-day go by, you'll be okay. If not, and there isn't exactly a way to know going into the job, then I would advise steering clear.

The one glimmer of hope I can give: If you apply here, NAFS QI team led by Andy Rottas is the place to be. A sensible leader, good people, and hard workers who are unassuming kind people, make this team a good cocoon for an otherwise terrible environment.

Cons

Cons? Other than the company itself?

The management at GLG is bimodal: excellent or terrible.
    In my position, I had both extremes.

I started out with the worst manager I have ever in encountered in my entire life. Manipulative, rude, unpredictable, and unable to admit when they were wrong. I still feel my cortisol levels increase when something reminds me of this manager at my new job.

On the other hand, the other manager I worked with was humble, understanding, and a great communicator, among many other excellent traits that you look for in a leader.

As Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get." Consider yourself warned.

Outside of management, this at times mind-numbing, but always meaningless work, expected an outsized commitment to the position. Whether that be sending emails while on a roadtrip, responding to clients at 11 pm, or something else. There is not a moment of stress-free internal peace unless you've deleted Outlook. It's the type of company that says it is a "family" only because everyone is miserable and they don't want you to pipe up about it.

Furthermore, the entire organization is clique based. That comes in the form of financial service teams vs. professional service teams; quantitative insights vs. client solutions; hedge fund client solutions vs. private equity client solutions.
    This leads to a semi-toxic working internal working relationship--far too many times did I spend hours a day dealing with stressed out, micromanaging, trustless client solutions members asking if I had done something for there one exact client. (For context, most Quantitative Insights team members balance 15-20 projects at any one time).

Advice to Management

Train management to have a better framework for managing people--a.k.a don't promote people to managing people simply because they can perform
    Get rid of the "flex" time off and institute an hour per paycheck accrual policy or something of the like so workers can take time of without feeling guilty
    Provide incentives to hard working teams; especially when looking at per capita revenue (especially comparing the QI team to client solution)

Discover more reviews about Gerson Lehrman Group.