Gerson Lehrman Group - Grow with a Growing Company | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

Featured Review

"Grow with a Growing Company"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always say it feels good to work for a company that's doing well and GLG is on something like its 10th+ quarter of consecutive growth. That success is reflected in the fast-paced, ever-changing nature of the work which (in my experience) leads to an unparalleled level of stimulation (and requires some patience, which other reviews point out). Given growth, it also feels like everyone is working towards the same thing - people are collegial and nice, and collaboration is increasing. I've had several jobs and this is one of the few places that no one raised their voice at me. And even more refreshing, people aren't just nice - they are interested... in your perspective, in your contributions, and in your life outside of work. Everyone - top down - is interested in new, big ideas, and willing to experiment. They are well-positioned to continue to succeed, and I'm very bullish about the impact they'll have on the business world. Oh, and the offices are so nice! People (especially disgruntled reviewers) mention that as a throw away point but nice offices matter and reflect GLG's investment in its employees.

Cons

Rapid growth is mostly good, but it means a lot of change and sometimes it's not implemented as seamlessly as it can be. Also, while I didn't work in client services - I recognize those jobs could be both intense (like every account management job) and monotonous, but I do believe you learn a lot of transferable skills. The reviews here that refute that are too cynical. And those who say no one goes anywhere interesting after GLG is just plain wrong - people go on to hedge funds, tech companies , nonprofits, etc. Finally, while there's a lot of diversity of background at GLG, there's not a lot of true diversity -- especially on the leadership team and board. You can't change the culture to be more inclusive, or make campus / mid-level hires more diverse if you don't fix that.

Advice to Management

Prioritize diversity and inclusion (especially when it comes to senior hires, and on the board), continue to be communicative, recognize that not everyone is having a good experience and do what you can to help those who aren't happy (e.g. provide career transition services; anonymous HR coaching, etc.)

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Get on board"

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and overall a friendly and fun work environment. There are a lot of people that are trying their hardest to make this a great place to work. Most senior people in Austin truly care about the employees.

Cons

You better get on board with the blatant stances that the company has taken on a vast number of political issues. It does not fall on deaf ears when some members of the leadership team are in clear support of an issue, and expect each and every employee to be right there with them. The company has "unofficially" taken a side on just about every political agenda item there is, when maybe their time would be better spent focused on the health of the company. You will be welcome with open arms just as long as you fit the mold that the leadership team has designed.

Advice to Management

Take some time to recognize that you will never build a strong foundation for a company with such little trust in the leadership team.

"DO NOT WORK AT THE GERSON LEHRMAN GROUP"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Gerson Lehrman Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The holiday party tends to be fun. No other positives.

Cons

You do not learn anything by working here and do not build any skills that translate to other companies so you have minimal options when trying to move elsewhere. The pay is not great until you are very senior. The culture is dominated by immature 20-somethings who started with the company right out of college or arrogant people who have a chip on their shoulder because they would rather be working elsewhere. The biggest regret that I have in my career is choosing to work here.

Advice to Management

Encourage managers to take an interest in the career progression of their employees.

Discover more reviews about Gerson Lehrman Group.