Getaround - Erratic management team, wonderful coworkers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Getaround

"Erratic management team, wonderful coworkers"

I worked at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who were smart, dedicated, and worked very hard. Most have gone on to much more well-known companies and better careers.

I learned a lot about operations during my stint there (the job requires being well-rounded). The experience there definitely gave me a leg up since I learned to cope with long hours and vigorous albeit irrational demands.

Cons

Extremely disorganized leadership team that were hyper-sensitive, reactionary, and micromanaged every project/process. Impromptu marketing campaigns (usually ideas from the female cofounder) trumped more thoroughly planned projects and constantly required the attention of almost the entire office. Engineering releases were few and in between when over half the company were engineers.

Lots of red tape so even small decisions had to go through management which caused operating costs to be very expensive. Very poor financial planning and lots of money spent irresponsibly.

Work-life balance was not respected (even for a startup) and there was lots of inter-office drama/politics for such a small company. The cofounders seemed to thrive in this state of mind.

Raises were only handed out to software engineers or employees who were on the verge of leaving. Definitely not merit-based and most employees felt under-appreciated. The morale was incredibly low at the time I left.

Advice to Management

Share praise and give compensation where it is due. Respect your employees and their personal lives outside the work environment. Plan better and prioritize projects according to goals and not on a whim.

Other Employee Reviews for Getaround

"Excellent idea, awful execution"

I worked at Getaround full-time

Pros

- Easy mission to get behind
    - Lots of motivated people working at Getaround
    - Great office space
    - Interesting projects and initiatives on the go

Cons

- Negative workplace culture, there's lots of employee gossip and infighting
    - Founders have unrealistic expectations about how many hours people should work and care more about the numbers than the people working for them
    - Zero insight into management decisions
    - Founders seem a little too comfortable lying or manipulating the truth
    - Mismanaged finances led to several rough bumps
    - Way below market rate salaries and lots of disparities between what people on the same team might be paid
    - While I was there, several team members were all leaving or considering leaving at the same time, it's hard to stay committed when so many people are jumping ship at once
    - Managers refuse to cede control over certain things, which results in an obscene amount of inefficiency throughout the company

Advice to Management

Work on building a culture where people feel appreciated, are paid properly and create a real bond between employees and management to stop the infighting.

2. "Fast-paced, tons of potential for personal growth"

Current Employee - Claims in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- there are many opportunities for advancement
    - the work is fast paced and challenging
    - management is responsive and attentive to employees' needs

Cons

- there can be in-fighting, as the teams are very small and personalities clash
    - cross-team coordination can suffer at times

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the long-term vision!

Getaround Response

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of People

Thanks for the feedback! Please let our People Team know how we can continue to improve or email me directly at pavle@getaround.com.