Ghirardelli Chocolate - Delicious and Rewarding! | Glassdoor

"Delicious and Rewarding!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best companies I’ve worked for and the longest one I’ve been with. Working at Ghirardelli is extremely satisfying and enjoyable especially when the people you work with share the same passionate about the product (chocolate!) as you do. Being a mid-size company you get your hands on a variety of highly visible projects. As a result, you get to have a lot of ownership and decision making power within your business.

During the course of my career I’ve had the pleasure to work for and with some fantastic managers. I know this is not the case for everyone or every department but overall I have really appreciated my managers. I am constantly learning and being challenged on a regular basis. There's rarely a dull moment and two days are never the same which keeps the work exciting and engaging.

Last but certainly not least chocolate is everywhere! You begin to develop a very refined palate and form a strong appreciation for sophisticated flavors and complimentary ingredient combinations. An added perk is giving your feedback on new flavor development.

Cons

You do have to be comfortable managing lots of changes and working at a fairly fast pace. Timelines are rarely standard and most projects are extremely rushed. This motivates some people but makes others miserable and those they work with frustrated.

The office is a bit dated and does not reflect the premium image of the brand therefore making it difficult to host outside business partners with pride.

The location isn’t much better mostly because there are not a lot of lunch options and you need to drive just to go out. That being said the company is generous about providing catered meals for lunch meetings.

Finally, not sure if this is really a con but being surrounded by premium chocolate you inevitably become a “chocolate snob” and have difficulty enjoying mainstream chocolate and average desserts ever again.

Advice to Management

We know that we are a very strong and fast growing company with a focus on innovation but there seems to be a lack of urgency to invest in additional headcount within key departments. Many departments appear to run too lean making it challenging to keep up with an ambitious product pipeline.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Response

Dec 1, 2014 – Recruiting

Wow! Thanks for your review, and your candid/transparent feedback. We really appreciate it, and can't improve unless we hear from you. Thanks again!

Other Employee Reviews for Ghirardelli Chocolate

1. "Fun work environment that is undercut by poor management and over-scheduled employees."

Former Employee - Chocolateer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Chocolateer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ghirardelli Chocolate (Less than a year)

Pros

Free access to chocolate, ice cream.
    Friendly, enthusiastic environment to work in
    Competitive pay

Cons

Non-existent benefits
    Poor management
    Stressful during peak hours when the confectionery is full
    Corporate can be cut-throat/brutal to employees if they do not maintain the Company's image and work ethic. Corporate management can fire you on the spot if you make a mistake
    Hours are non-negotiable. Volatile scheduling. You must be available to work "on-call"

Advice to Management

Respect your employee's scheduling requests. I requested to work part-time, 20-25 hours a week. By the 4th week I was scheduled to work 38 hours.

It seems that there is a disconnect between the corporate management and the general manager/supervisors.

"Established company, going through growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Ghirardelli Chocolate full-time

Pros

The company hires very dedicated and passionate people. There is a very strong belief in the brand and an energy to make the company's mission statement come to life. Overall, the people who work at the company are friendly and inviting. The benefit plan is excellent and the employee contribution rates are relatively low. Flexible Time Off policy is generous; 401k plan with company match is very generous. Some departments have created a great team atmosphere. More processes are being put into place that should make the work flow better.

Cons

The growth of the company is strong, which means that there is a lot of pressure on departments and individuals to always be delivering. Work-life balance is encouraged in word but not necessarily by action; expect to receive emails and voice mails on days off, weekends, nights with an implied response expected. Being a smaller company, there is not much room for upward growth.

Advice to Management

Growth opportunities are important at any level, career pathing is important to people - what is next? Encourage more open door communication in all departments as some are still road blocked from expressing their opinions.