Ghirardelli Chocolate - Would not encourage others to work here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ghirardelli Chocolate

"Would not encourage others to work here."

Pros

Delicious chocolate products, 3 weeks PTO, 401k match, central location in the bay area, good for commuting.

Cons

Extreme favor-tism of some employees, weak management, no communication within the company.

Many employees leave the company after a few years -- repeated stress with little recognition. Employees that deliver no results are often promoted because they are politically strong. Results mean nothing - your political abilities are most important here. Other employees just check out and do the minimum. Every task is difficult to get done.

Management will not communicate directly with employees with any meaningful information. In fact, they are visibly uncomfortable or try to hide information if asked. The management team is somewhat of a black hole - and they are very unfamiliar with their own business. They rely very heavily on junior employees to pull the weight of the company and justify every decision. Long term planning is not possible.

Advice to Management

Be honest and forward with communication. Get involved int he work - don't just stand by and criticize.

Other Employee Reviews for Ghirardelli Chocolate

1. "Working at Ghirardelli Chocolate"

Pros

Always able to have some chocolate if you want to. If you work in the marketing department, you likely will be promoted.

Cons

Upper management does not follow through with promises made. Many individuals do not take responsibility for their actions and try to place blame on someone/something else.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be just that, be more informative and follow through with what you say. Talk to your employees and and lead them in the direction you expect them to go.

"Middle Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Leandro, CA

Pros

Great product, friendly people, good communication from CEO. Top managers are very approachable. Also, good vacation package, 401k match, and occassional chocolate taste testing!

As a female manager, I feel my ideas are very welcome; I am treated professionaly and frequently given a "seat at the table" at all levels -I have never experienced a hint of sexism here. Also, while you of course have to get your work done, they are flexible about schedules so you can do child drop off or pick up, and allow many employees to work from home one day per week.

Most of the corporate employees are located all in one location - it is easy to get up from your desk, walk to see a co-worker or just go to another department and say, "If I need to learn about x, who do I talk with in this department?" People always seem willing to help.

Lots of small perks make for a pleasant day - free chocolate, early Fridays in the summer, frequent give aways of tickets to sporting events, work out clubs at lunch. Many efforts to make a nice environment.

Cons

Company is making a jump from a small/mid size business to a larger one. There are some growing pains with this. Nothing terrible - it just makes people uneasy sometimes.

Really need to upgrade their technology and get systems that talk to each other. IT department seems a little out of date or not quite ready to help take us to the next level.

The company is only so big right now, so you can't necessarily grow your career by advancing 3 levels or something like that in a short period of time. (But, we have plenty of folks who have grown with the company, including our CEO.)

Salaries seem to be falling a little bit behind but I think I heard HR will be working on updating these soon.

Office space is too tight right now - not enough meeting rooms or casual spaces for doing work together.

Advice to Management

Get the technology improvements going asap. Review salary scales this year.