Giant Eagle - Inept Management | Glassdoor

"Inept Management"

Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong union contracts - my hourly pay is probably a little lower than other stores, but my health benefits have no weekly payment required. The cheap health insurance is the only real selling point of the job. Note though that this changes with your region, not every local union has this great deal.

Cons

Upper management (aka Corporate) seems clueless about how the stores operate. They constantly generate new lists of things that need doing, yet somehow stocking the shelves with product for people to buy is NOT on the list. This should be priority one for a store. Several stores closed last year, and I have no doubt more will be closing soon (my store is likely on the short list. Not a week goes by where management is satisfied with our sales figures). To control costs, their only solution seems to be cutting employee hours. My department has lost two full time people in the last year, and yet they are still cutting hours from those of us who remain. My team is constantly criticized that we haven't finished our work, even though we are now short more than 80 hours/week versus last year. I have to constantly rotate what parts of my job don't get done just so that management will shut up about certain things being unfinished.

Advice to Management

Giant Eagle is a grocery store that doesn't know how to compete in today's world. In the coming years it will be facing huge competition from Amazon (which bought out the chain Whole Foods), and from Lidl (a HUGE European chain that is starting to transplant to the US). Yet I haven't heard anything from anyone in management about a plan. They're so focused on shaving the budget, that they haven't thought about how to improve their operations. I don't think they stand a chance of beating the two giants on the horizon. Unfortunately Giant Eagle will likely be out of business within the next 5-10 years. This will probably happen when one of the larger chains like Aldi's or Krogers offers to buy out the stores, so that they can try to compete with Whole Food and Lidl. That's just my opinion though. I have 17 years experience in the industry.

Giant Eagle2018-02-07
  1. "Great First Job"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy to work with managers, great first job. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Sometimes had to fight for hours.

Giant Eagle2020-01-23
  2. "Not a bad experience overall"

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Canfield, OH

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly environment part of a union (i had minimal association w/ them but they were there if needed) has some benefits (health care, etc) job requires some effort but can be relatively easy was relatively flexible in working around a school schedule good overall job to have while in school

Cons

Repetitious work that gets boring fast, and hearing the same songs on a loop day after day knee pads are almost needed due to all the time you're kneeling on the hard floor other co workers often complained about scheduling issues, but in my experience management did what it could to balance schedules

Advice to Management

Try to be receptive to workers' suggestions or explain in situations your actions

Giant Eagle2020-01-17

Discover more reviews about Giant Eagle.