Giant Eagle - "Walk the Talk" | Glassdoor

""Walk the Talk""

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a very good documented core set of values. Provides a lot of opportunities to it's hourly team members. Hourly team members are paid fairly.

Cons

Advancement is based mostly on politics and have very little to do with actual ability. Company slogan is "Walk the Talk" but very little of their upper management follow this or ensure that it is being applied. Raises are almost non existing and are based on bias performance reviews that the team member has virtually no voice in. Salary team members are not compensated for working very long hours or working through lunch's.

Advice to Management

You have a good core set of values, upper management needs to get involved and make sure that they are being applied fairly across the board.

Other Employee Reviews for Giant Eagle

1. "One of the easier jobs, depending on where you work, managers can be pretty laid back"

Pros

not much do to, follow a simple "chore" sheet.

Cons

dealing with the general public, managers seem not to care that much about individual, they don't judge by seniority rather make friends with certain employees and give them the schedules they would like, get angry with call offs or if you are sick they are very tough to get someone to cover for you.

Advice to Management

pay attention to the people who are most friendly with customers, and have the best customer service. because they are what make the company, not people that you work with and are friends with.

"A mostly enjoyable experience."

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Sheffield Village, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Sheffield Village, OH

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I know this will very from place to place, but my bosses and coworkers are fantastic. We really work as a team and I really enjoy working with them. The job itself is not bad. The pay is above average for a part-time job and we get paid vacations and health benefits.

Cons

It's retail...so you are going to have obnoxious customers. I'm a little annoyed with Giant Eagle's tendency to bend over backward to help customers that frequently complain or make a scene. Why are we rewarding them for that? Then customers who are kind and considerate don't get the customer satisfaction gift cards and the occasional free item.