Giant Food Stores - Frustrating | Glassdoor

"Frustrating"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in State College, PA

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours are very flexible, I’ve never had an issue with scheduling and If there was a day that I needed off management had no issue with employees swapping days as long as we brought it to their attention. Team was great in the deli, there were a few bad apples but they didn’t last very long. Store usually provides snacks & drinks in the employee break room.

Cons

Management is mixed and it seemed like no one was on the same page. There was a lot of politics involved in my store, a game of chess almost to get some people fired or demoted. Most of my managers didn’t like each other and were pretty bad at keeping the professionalism. There were a lot of passive aggressive attitudes. There was a great deal of favoritism in my store and “cliques” . If you were stuck working nights 5-6 days a week it was because you weren’t a favorite. Part-time workers don’t get any of the perks full-time employees do and it’s nearly impossible to get a full-time position. The only opportunity to get a full-time position is either when someone retired or quit. On your 2 year anniversary is when you qualify for paid vacation and they average that based on the hours you worked ( for me 32 hours which translates to 4 days which is barely anything at all)

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and get better perks for your employees! You represent them during meetings

Giant Food Stores2019-07-23
  1. "Easy Job"

Former Employee - Dairy Associate

I worked at Giant Food Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Not stressful if you are able to manage your time and put product out on the shelves fast enough

Cons

Scheduling was problematic at times, but that comes down to your specific department manager

Giant Food Stores2019-11-16
  2. "Amazing way to gain experience"

I have been working at Giant Food Stores

Pros

Competitive hourly wages, yearly raises, paid vacation and sick time even for part-time associates, a lot of room to grow in the company, various departments to work in, a lot of middle-management people and managers who are there to help you be the best you can be.

Cons

Unruly customers. There are very few of them that cannot be appeased no matter what, but when they take it out on you it makes the job more tense than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more time checking in with each employee individually to see how they are doing maybe every month or so.

Giant Food Stores2020-01-14

Discover more reviews about Giant Food Stores.