Girl Scouts USA - High Expectations but High Rewards | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Girl Scouts USA

"High Expectations but High Rewards"

Current Employee - S T E M Programming Director
Current Employee - S T E M Programming Director

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for girl scouts is working to actively make a difference and change the lives of girls across the world. I have had no better job then the 3 years I work for them doing S.T.E.M. programming.

Cons

Working for such a such a large organization causes your life to be constantly under a microscope, I was accused of being a lesbian on multiple occasions and there seems to be a constant concern about about personal life and it bleeding into work.

Advice to Management

Figure out your official policies and then stick with them.

Other Employee Reviews for Girl Scouts USA

"Horrific experience"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

35-hour work week, casual Friday, good vacation if you're grandfathered in

Cons

Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania is a disaster. CEO has a hand picked board and the leadership team is a joke; putting in a solid 10 hour work week tops. Management is embarrassing and HR is incompetent. It was so sad to witness the demise of an amazing mission in the hands of an uneducated, unmotivated and embarrassingly overpaid group of lazy executives. The morale of the office was that of doom and gloom and bullying from managers was the norm. The CEO is so mortifyingly stupid that her presence in any of the council's offices was a joke in itself. The development department skims donors to reach its goals and membership numbers are padded each year. As a former employee, I tried to share my concerns with both HR and my supervisors, but I was placated - with zero results- at best. GSWPA does not seek new employees outside its pool and the turnover rate was ridiculous. Stay away from this mess. The pay and the benefits - let alone the mission - do not make it worth the emotional turmoil that this insane and terribly incompetent place breeds. Practice what you preach, GS, I've never been in a less supportive, less-mentor focused place in my life.

Advice to Management

Make your board accountable for something. If not for firing your lackluster CEO then at least attend special events or have a mandated yearly gift. Hire a real HR department who actually understands HR laws (read: the space women are allowed by law to breast feed their children or pump their breasts - this is the Girl Scouts, for goodness sake), look outside your current employees for open positions. GSWPA is gaining a reputation as a giant joke in the nonprofit community. The question, "What is going on there, who is running that place?"is one I've heard constantly since I've left.

2. "Experience at Council in Texas"

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Become involved in many areas.

Cons

Not enough support. Expect to get work done in a 40 hour work week but work required 60 hours/week. Micromanaging supervisor who had no supervisory skills.