Girl Scouts USA - CEO is inept | Glassdoor

"CEO is inept"

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Girl Scouts USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing, talented, supportive co-workers, who all want to support the mission of building girls of Courage, Confidence and Character, who make the world a better place.

Cons

CEO is inept. Our council is like a Lamborghini with plenty of intelligent, creative, talented people; led by a bigoted, narrow-minded, micro-manager, who has no idea how to get out of first gear.

Advice to Management

step back, and let us all succeed!

Other Employee Reviews for Girl Scouts USA

"Great Mission but horrible management"

Former Employee - Membership Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Membership Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, people that believe in the mission of Girl Scouts

Cons

Upper Management doesn't support workers, some departments are burdened by what other departments should be doing but don't, very little room for growth, tons of pointless meetings

Advice to Management

Replace some of the long standing management that has not produced positive changes. These managers are the ones doing the hiring so nothing will change with them still in place.

"Rough work environment, no support."

Former Employee - Membership in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Membership in Manchester, NH

I worked at Girl Scouts USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 4-day work week option was nice, but depending on your supervisor you are still expected to answer work calls and respond to work emails on your "day off." The weekends and nights you work definitely do not balance out the one week day off you receive each week.

Cons

Unfortunately there are many. I took the position at Girl Scouts of the Green and White Mountains because I believed in the mission and vision and wanted to be part of a wonderful leadership experience for girls. Unfortunately, the staff are not given the tools and training to be successful in their positions, and my colleagues would often make rash decisions that negatively impacted the work I was responsible for. Additionally, when untrained and discourteous staff train volunteers who are responsible for directly impacting the girls in our program, this negatively impacted program quality and overall program delivery, creating a very negative environment and a long-term effect. The girls suffered greatly. The numbers back this up--girl and adult membership has dropped drastically as a result of the poor leadership among the Council staff. The work environment is very emotionally challenging. Out of the 52 current staff positions, 43 have had staff turnover in the past one year. Complete departments have also turned over--at least, the non-managerial staff--due to lack of leadership and direction. This should be a sign to the managers higher up that those they supervise need more direction and coaching so they in turn can pass that along to those that give it too.

Advice to Management

It's time to move on. More intentionality in hiring practices is needed to get this organization to the level it needs to be to compete with other youth-serving nonprofits in the state and region.