Glassdoor - Glassdoor.com.....an awesome work at home opportunity!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"Glassdoor.com.....an awesome work at home opportunity!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH
Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH

Pros

The ability to work remotely, at home with non-scheduled hours....therefore, there is a great work / life balance!!
This is the best work at home opportunity that I have found that is truly legitimate!!!
The salary and PTO are above average, as well as the amount of paid holidays that are offered to part time employees as well as full time employees.
Career advancement is huge since this is a start-up company that is growing rapidly.
Management is approachable and willing to help grow and advance employee careers.
Also, often times we are asked for our opinions to help improve the experience of glassdoor.com for the user....it makes me feel like management respects my opinon.
Finally, I have found that it is fun reading about other people's experiences all day....sometimes I forget that I am actually working!!

Cons

I guess the biggest thing would be working 7 days a week to keep up with all of the data.
Also, the work can be monotonous somedays doing the same "type" of analyzing for hours on end.
Sometimes working remotely causes a lack of communication and a lack of team feeling. There is also not alot of feedback about job performance because of the lack of daily interaction with management.
Finally, working from home is great, but not seeing other people can sometimes make you crazy!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! So far this has been a great opportunity.....keep making changes as necessary to make the website easy to navigate and search.

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"If you love start-up web companies, this is the place for you."

Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Sausalito, CA

Pros

We're living the start-up dream. We're a small, nimble company that has the potential to make a big impact on people's lives.

First, I truly believe in the mission of the company - "help people make informed decisions about where they work." Work is important - it's where many people spend the most time, your salary has a big impact on the freedom you have in your life, etc. So helping people make good decisions about their work is important and valuable.

Second, the work environment is great. People respect each other. Each person truly contributes to making the company successful. Management (which I'm part of) is extremely open about how decisions are made and what our goals are. And there is a great energy that comes from everyone working together to achieve a shared vision.

We respect the importance of having balance in your life. We work hard, but people can always take time off when they want/need to. Often times people work extra but it's because they are excited to deliver results rather than because it's required.

And, people are compensated fairly. We have good salaries, extremely generous equity package and great benefits...especially for a startup - what startup do you know that had a 401K in the first year it existed?

Cons

We're prone to many of the drawbacks of a startup. Career opportunity is limited - with a 11 person company, there isn't a lot of room for promotion and taking on more senior roles. However, that is balanced with the opportunity for every person to have total ownership of his/her work and to play many roles so it's a great place to learn and grow.

There's also risk in a startup. We're fortunate to have enough capital to build the business, but any startup is riskier than an established company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. Any successful business is built based on many, many, many correct decisions in a row. So far we've made some good ones, but we need a lot more good decisions to make this business successful.

"A new standard for what a startup should be."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run.

Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed.

Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that.

The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod.

While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary.

On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later.

The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Advice to Management

Remember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.