Glassdoor - turning into something we're just not | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"turning into something we're just not"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers. Definitely will be life long friends. Like the relaxed dress code and the freedom. For the most part, you get back what you put in.

Cons

Where do I begin? Glassdoor is turning into something that it's just 'not'. I chose to begin a career at Glassdoor because of the people, atmosphere, perks, career opportunities, and future manager. Now they're bringing in some new faces from companies that have OPPOSING culture to what Glassdoor is all about. Trying to change us. Couldn't be more clear that all of us are just numbers according to some of the new management here. It is not being received well. You have, and will continue, to lose great employees because of it. The vibes are not what they used to be. Nobody feels job security. More than half of the sales reps are exploring new careers as of late.

Practice what you preach..... Give your employees a "Job and Company they love" because that is what we originally signed up for.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You may think "losing some reps here at there" is normal, and inevitable. Sure- you're probably right. But there is absolutely a common theme here as to why people are leaving and it is because newer "upper management" is trying to toss ideas into the pot and willing to sacrifice reps sanity and happiness at work. Your reps are your revenue. I'd keep that top of mind.

Glassdoor Response

Oct 17, 2017 – Sales Director, SMB New Business

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out, and I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.
I'm really excited about the culture we have in Chicago, and at Glassdoor as a whole, and I have a... More

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"International Content & Community Associate"

Former Employee - International Content & Community Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Glassdoor is being part of an uplifting and dynamic team that is dedicated to disrupt the old standards of how to find a job you love. Also, Glassdoor has great benefits: bring your dog to work, a full gym and game room, complimentary catered lunch each day are just a few to mention. In the content department, there is the opportunity to work outside the office, as long as expectations are met. I loved my co-workers and can honestly say there was not ever any drama within the team and team support was natural and genuine. Very much enjoyed my time there. When the company made a business decision to consolidate operations, they offered a nice severance package and I came away with a much better knowledge on how to go about finding that next job and how to negotiate my salary using “Know Your Worth” on Glassdoor’s website. The overall best benefit!

Cons

99% of my time I spent in front of my computer, and the work was repetitive. I did have the flexibility to clock in and out of projects during the day, but you are still expected to produce a full 8 hours of high quality work. In my position, the lack of creativity did dull my drive and my attention would wander... This is not a reflection on the company, but a reflection of the particular position that I was in. If you are a people person, want to move around a lot and are fueled by challenges, than another department such as sales, may be a better fit.

Advice to Management

Keep going - it's working! And, THANK YOU for the opportunity.

Glassdoor Response

Nov 6, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. We strive to walk our talk and provide a positive working environment for our employees. It's so good to hear that you felt genuinely supported and a... More

"Bring Back That Lovin' Feelin'"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons I love working at Glassdoor:
    1) We are making a major impact in the landscape of recruiting. The mission to help people everywhere find a job and a company they love is meaningful and is something I feel excited about doing every day. I enjoy the conversations I have with our employer partners and I feel like I'm helping them shape their strategy. It's rewarding work.
    2) The people! What other reviewers say is true... I work alongside the smartest, most hard working and driven individuals. It's a true team environment where we all help and support each other.
    3) My managers. I've been incredibly lucky to work for and learn from two really talented individuals in my time here. I always feel they have my best interest at heart, work to remove obstacles, coach me with valuable feedback and push me to be better. While my two managers have been very different, have both taught me skills that will benefit me well past my tenure at Glassdoor.
    4) Add all of the perks like ongoing professional and EQ training, free lunch and snacks, team events, an onsite gym and classes, free health benefits, a beautiful and sunny location, dogs in the office... it truly is a great place to work.

Cons

I am sad to say that it feels like the wheels are falling off in so many areas of the business, and it's easy to lose track of all of the things I love about working here. Each department is stretched incredibly thin. B2B Product rolls out half-finished, not well thought-through products, Data Science is understaffed and can't produce the reporting the sales team needs, Product Marketing can't keep up with sales collateral because they have to jump through 100 hoops to get something developed then approved, our Customer Success team is understaffed/overworked/underpaid and managing too many accounts .... it's no fault of the people in these departments, many of them are incredibly talented, it's that we need more of them.

Specifically for the ENT Account Management group, I can't even begin to calculate the amount of time spent pulling reports and building presentations for client meetings. This needs to be automated so we can our time strategically selling into our accounts. Like ASAP, not "it's coming." A number of positive changes have been made this year (i.e. reducing the number of accounts each AM manages, fewer reps under one manager, newly created/to-be-formed Customer Insights team) but if you're looking at this role, you need to be prepared to work a lot of late hours, travel around the country and likely only hit 80-90% of your quota.

Quotas and Compensation? We'll look past the fact that our Fiscal Year started April 1, but we didn't have our quotas until May, nor our Comp Plans until the first week of July. Quotas are structured with unrealistic expectations of revenue growth when our product hasn't historically performed well enough to justify a larger investment from our clients. Although a number of people on the team were asked their input on the structure of both quota and comp, it was all in vain as it doesn't seem any was taken into account. Comp is below market value and an unattainable quota means you're not hitting your OTE and even more underpaid for working 60+ hour weeks. Not to mention you just plain don't feel like you're winning and successful.

Advice to Management

Stop the broken record. Real talk: the last 2+ years have been painful. Last year you told us you heard us, that things were broken and that this year they would be better: "we have multiple MBA's working on quotas!" I feel like I had blind faith that it would be. I trusted the process, and well, the jokes on me because it's not better. We know exactly how this story ends because we saw it play out last year: the entire sales team loses morale, our best people leave for greener pastures, we don't hit quota, we're all under immense pressure and the org and business struggle as a result. Help us feel set up to win by creating realistic and achievable goals, get into the trenches with us and feel and hear what we're facing every day to be able to do so.

I'm having a hard time seeing all of the great things we're doing and progress we're making because every single message from our CEO and sr leadership is that the growth team is failing the business, that we need to put our heads down, that we need to fight fight fight and just "do the damn thing." Reset and find an inspiring way of motivating us, of helping us see the forrest through the trees or why we're all here working so hard. Like many of my team mates, I want to be here, I want to love my job, I want to win - help me do that!