Glassdoor - Work feels like HOME!! | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "There is so much flexibility with work/life balance that it makes it easy to come into work in the morning" (in 63 reviews)

• "It is also nice to have the ability to work from home if something comes up rather than have to take PTO" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "Over the years there were a lot of growing pains" (in 39 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be hard to maintain at times due to high quota" (in 13 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Online Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

Glassdoor Response

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Glassdoor changed my life"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor was my first job right out of college. I moved to a new city where I didn't know many people. The reason why I wanted to work at Glassdoor was that I believed in the product and it was something that was useful to me in my job search. Little did I know that a short three years later I would be looking back at my decision to accept my first job at Glassdoor as one of the best decisions of my life. Many of my closest friends were made through my time on various teams throughout the Glassdoor organization. I know every review says it...but the best part of Glassdoor is truly the people.

- Career Progression -
    There are plenty of opportunities for promotions for top performers. If you work hard and stand out, you absolutely will be moved from role to role quickly.

-Strong Managers-
    I've had four managers at Glassdoor and every single one of them has been wonderful.

-Compensation-
    Top performers are compensated like top performers. The ability to both hit and exceed quota is very real and can be accomplished by anyone who is willing to put in the work.

-Benefits-
    Top of the line (and free) health/dental benefits with a ton of fun stuff around the office. Snacks, beer, ping pong, and darts.

-Work/Life Balance-
    Amazing flexibility based on manager and position. Employees are treated like adults and allowed to WFH or take PTO when needed.

Cons

Any company has cons no matter how great it is. Glassdoor has always done a good job taking feedback both from public reviews and internal feedback and laying out a plan to make changes. However, it sometimes takes longer to accept/see the issues and put into place fixes since we've grown so quickly.

-Sales Operations-
    Many of our systems are very, very, very broken. This can occasionally lead to over or underpayments that you as an employee you have to watch out for. This SEEMS to be getting better lately and I know is top priority to be fixed this fiscal year.

-Billing Department-
    As a sales rep, your compensation is tied to your clients paying (or not paying) your bills. This means that you are often times working with the Billing Department to resolve payment issues for clients. Our Billing Department is painfully understaffed and emails/Slack messages go unanswered for weeks creating tough situations with clients who expect resolutions quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep putting your people first, we all love you for it.

Focus on the Billing Department, we're losing revenue due to a lack of accountability and responsiveness.

Put people into Sales Operations leadership positions who have experience setting up and managing our systems. You've clearly noticed the issues and seem to be on the right track.

"Great four years, but left disappointed."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I had a very positive experience at Glassdoor. Nine months ago, I would have rated the company 4 stars.

Here's the top of my "pros" list.

1. People - My direct team was composed of professionals who are expert at their jobs, have fun with their work, and are genuinely great people. This extends to the Enterprise Sales and Customer Success teams as a whole. These are the groups I worked most closely with, and it's a talented team overall.

2. Creativity - My leaders gave me a ton of trust to create new opportunities for the company. They trusted me to innovate our approach, and get the job done to grow the company. I believe I delivered by qualifying for 3 President's Clubs in 4 years. I'm very thankful for the trust in me, and hope that I've passed this spirit on to my team.

3. Knowledge - I grew my skills substantially during my tenure at Glassdoor. I was put in several situations where I had to "figure things out" in order to drive growth. I had to push the envelope regularly, which grew my knowledge-base over my 4 year tenure. These attributes will stay with me as my career moves forward, and I'm thankful for that.

Cons

The company has changed dramatically from when I joined 4 years ago. It was a disappointing end for me, given the highs my team achieved during my tenure.

Dramatic change is to be expected when you're in growth mode, and especially after an acquisition. However, the top "cons" listed here are why I dropped my rating to 3 stars. They definitely played a role in my departure from the company.

1. Senior Leadership - The "feel" is dissipating. Everything is "rationalized" through spreadsheets, and decisions are made via endless hours in conference rooms. Many key departments are run by an MBA who doesn't have prior experience leading in said capacity. This has created a lack of first-hand customer knowledge, and is causing a diminished connection with team members who interface with customers and prospects every day.

2. Cross-Functional Partners - Team members in other departments are willing to help, but the company is separated into silos. Each department has their own OKRs, and few of those correlate with overall customer success. As a result, time spent selling for reps is greatly reduced. Reps routinely spend hours, and even days, waiting on cross-functional support. Most reps end up just doing things themselves to deliver to customers on-time.

3. Lack of Innovation - This may be number 3 on my list, but was probably my biggest issue. The company continues to push high growth targets...but isn't producing new, monetizable products to drive that. The market is changing dramatically, and the company is falling behind. Even if the revenue numbers look good at an aggregate level, there are significant risks to the business that will manifest themselves over the next 12-24 months if true innovation isn't realized.`

Advice to Management

I know it will be obvious who wrote this review, so as always...I'll tell it like it is. I aim for this advice to be constructive, but also very honest. Nothing I say should come as a surprise, as I've shared my feedback on multiple occasions.

There are three key areas I believe management should address:

1. The Mission - Glassdoor's mission statement has become fuzzy for many in the ranks over the last few months. The actual wording of the mission, and the recently stated vision for the company, are at odds. Many Enterprise reps are concerned about Glassdoor's market position over the next two years. There is a lack of clarity over Glassdoor's future value proposition, and what reps might actually be selling. The mission has always been our north star, and that became fuzzy with the new vision.

2. EQ - You need high IQ to power the company and make smart business decisions. I agree with that 100%. However, you also need EQ to be a leader and achieve balance. You can lay out the best plan anyone's ever seen...but if you don't have the "hearts and minds" of your people, it can all be for naught. I have too many examples of lack of EQ over the last 6 months to list. My job became much more mechanical, with a focus on serving information up. Yet, I knew that leadership was only going to listen to the MBA's opinion first. This lack of awareness played a sizable role in my departure.

3. Customer Focus - The company is so focused on internal operations, that it shifts attention away from what's happening on the front lines with customers and prospects. Over the last nine months, I started to see my job as more of an "Operations" leader versus a "Sales" leader. Spending more time in spreadsheets to serve up internally wasn't my idea of time well spent. There certainly needs to be time spent on operations, but the pendulum is 90/10 operations to customer focus from Glassdoor's leadership right now. Rarely are leaders involved with customers or prospects...and when they are, it feels like more work for the sales team.

Discover more reviews about Glassdoor.