Glassdoor - Still Feeling the Culture After 5 Years | Glassdoor

"Still Feeling the Culture After 5 Years"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-I have been at Glassdoor for close to 5 years, and have seen a lot of growth and changes. -Taken together, Glassdoor is the best place I have ever worked. The culture is friendly but very smart, without huge egos getting in the way of our mission. My team is like a family to me, and overall the culture is empathetic, collaborative, and positive. -As a startup, people at Glassdoor were attracted by our mission to help people find a job and company that they love. Although we have grown dramatically during my time here, our CEO has been a north star for our culture, preserving it despite turnover, setbacks, growth, and successes. -Overall, the acquisition of the company by Recruit Holdings was a net positive for employees. Many long-time employees were handsomely rewarded by their cashed out stock options. It was honorable of the company to continue to pay out options after the acquisition, and showed the CEO's respect for employees. -Little has changed in the company since the acquisition. There have been no layoffs, no major operational changes, and even a few efficiencies on the engineering side from better coordination with our sister companies. -There were substantial pay raises for most employees after the acquisition, which brought up pay to SF Bay Area market rates. My comp today is even or above most competitors for similar roles. -We have preserved our great benefits package despite our growth and maturity as an employer. We still offer unlimited vacation, free lunch (in Mill Valley at least) and pretty terrific health coverage. -People with families are encouraged to take time off, and work flexibly to make sure their home responsibilities are covered. People work hard, but there is not a "spend 10 hours at your desk" culture here -- people work from home, take meetings via Zoom, communicate via Slack, and get the same amount of work done while also creating space for home life. -The company HQ is moving to SF in Fall 2020 (finally) which will dramatically improve commutes for many employees and will help us with recruiting SF talent as well. Marin is beautiful, but there is a reason no other major tech players have offices here -- there is no commercial real estate, no one can afford to live in Marin except execs, there are fires + flooding + power outages in Marin regularly, and you are on an island far away from SF making casual networking impossible. It's time for Glassdoor to put on its big-boy pants and finally move into the city like a real company -- that's finally happening now.

Cons

-My impression of our Product and Engineering orgs after 5 years here is that they are fairly conservative and slow-moving. We are behind the curve technically in many areas, and our roadmaps move really slowly. I don't know what the solution is, but lack of innovation on product and engineering are a serious long-term problem we face. -We are a tiny player in our competitive space, and that's not changing much over time. That lack of rapid upward momentum in terms of our business is very different than in the early years here, and it's sometimes hard to stay motivated without big growth prospects in the future. My team is growing really slowly (if at all) and feels like treading water sometimes. -I think we are moving too slowly in moving our HQ into San Francisco. For too long our physical location has been unduly influenced (in my opinion) by where our executive team has chosen to buy homes. Most employees are in SF or East Bay, not Marin, and there is a huge disconnect between the personal interests of execs who would like a short commute and the majority of the talent base who bears the cost of long commutes, lack of quality public transit, and unaffordable real estate for us to be in Marin. If we want to be a real company, we need to act like one and move to where the talent is -- not where our exec team wants to have a pleasant lifestyle (and can afford to live). -Our data infrastructure is not great. This is a hard problem to solve, at least with current leadership on the relevant teams. But other tech companies have figured this out, and we could do better. Data is too slow, not well documented, not widely accessible, and hard for product managers and business decision makers to get access to.

Glassdoor2019-10-30

Glassdoor Response

December 13, 2019President & COO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for being a part of Glassdoor for more than 5 years. Your contributions have helped Glassdoor get to where we are today. It makes me happy to hear that Glassdoor is the best place you have ever worked. It’s our goal that every employee love their experience working at Glassdoor and I agree our culture and our people make Glassdoor truly special. Glassdoor began as a disruptor in the industry and I share your opinion that innovation in Product and Engineering is important. This is an area of focus and investment going forward. Like you, I'm excited for our HQ expansion to San Francisco, which I believe will allow us to attract top talent who will passionately help Glassdoor deliver on our mission as you and your fellow Glassdorians have. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, Christian President & COO

1. "Awesome internship!"

Former Intern - Business Operations MBA

I worked at Glassdoor

Pros

I loved my summer in BizOps at Glassdoor. Everyone I met - across teams and functions - was welcoming and eager to help me achieve my goals for the summer. The projects I worked on were challenging and engaging and I think gave me a good sense for what full-time work might be like. The support I received from the BizOps team throughout the summer was beyond anything I would have expected for an internship, and I felt like I was able to both contribute to the company and develop personally in only a few months.

Cons

No real cons from my perspective. The MBA intern cohort was small, which was fine with me, but perhaps something to note. I imagine it will get bigger as the company continues to grow.

Glassdoor2020-02-13

"4 years in and going strong"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Glassdoor is the favorite company I've worked for so far in my career. First and foremost, the company has an amazing company culture. People are really good to one another here. While people are smart and driven, they also care about making sure that everyone works together well. Glassdoor is also having a lot of success as a company. Like any early stage company there are ups and downs, but over the 4 years I've been here I've seen revenue triple and the employee base grow by a similar amount. And I love Glassdoor's mission and that we are creating transparency for job seekers all around the world.

Cons

None really. It's worth saying that we have some big competitors (LinkedIn, Indeed) in our industry so you have to bring your A-game. But I believe in what we're doing and our results show we are having success.

Glassdoor2019-04-29

Discover more reviews about Glassdoor.