Glassdoor - A wonderful start-up with great people and interesting challenges | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"A wonderful start-up with great people and interesting challenges"

Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - Lead Web Developer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

I was the second non-founding employee at Glassdoor, so I've been here since the beginning. Clearly it's working for me. The management is some of the best I've worked with, and I've worked in tech for quite a long time. They're not just great at what they do, either. They're genuinely fun people.

I consider myself a code artist. (I'm not nearly as douchey as that sounds.) I find that Glassdoor continues to maintain my interest with the challenges of developing the site. I'm continuously learning new things, which makes me very happy.

The office environment is for the most part an open floor plan. No soul-deadening cubicles, just a bunch of desks. As a web developer, I'm face-to-face with our designer, which works very well. People can simply turn around and ask questions of other team members. It's a very interactive environment, and I like that. The folks who have chattier jobs, like Business Development, our lawyer, and the head of marketing all have private offices, which also works well. We don't have to listen to them talking on the phone all day.

The office kitchen is heavily stocked with an assortment of soft drinks, unhealthy snacks, and fresh fruit. There is also beer and wine on Friday afternoons and with the occasional barbecue on our expansive deck. Employees take turns playing disk jockey on the office stereo. The office has an entire wall of windows looking out onto the Sausalito hills. And the water is only a block away. Overall, the office lifestyle is pretty darned good.

Cons

The downside of constantly being challenged is that I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day. If I have a social event right after work, it takes me about an hour to recover from my 'code coma' and be able to make decent conversation.

Our site needs to work on Internet Explorer. Any web developer will read that and start shaking their heads in sympathy. Everyone else should just stop using IE and switch to Firefox, Chrome, or Safari. Please? You'll be glad you did.

The pay is on the low side, but there are the stock options, which hopefully will hugely make amends for that some day. Still, it would be nice to make a little more money. Every engineer knows that nice vacations and the latest electronic gadgets are a great cure for burn-out. :-)

Though the company is fairly relaxed about vacation time, the 'official' 2 weeks seems pretty minimal. (Full disclosure: I believe we should get 4-6 weeks vacation, like the more-civilized Europeans. But I'm not sure that would work in a start-up environment.)

Advice to Management

As the company grows, pay attention to our corporate culture. Remember to care about user experience on our site. Keep our users informed and delighted, and they'll swarm to the site. All of the revenue-generating metrics (page views, etc) will follow.

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"Enjoying working for Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Reviewer in Zanesville, OH

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that I get to work from home. I have lots of flexibility on which hours I work on a given day allowing me a great balance between work and my family. My coworkers and managers are friendly, helpful and patient. The compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The work can sometimes get very repetitive; but, being about to break up the hours helps with this. Working from home doesn't give you the work atmosphere where you could build some wonderful friendships; but, the advantages by far outweigh this small disadvantage for me.

Advice to Management

Great job!

"Glassdoor.com.....an awesome work at home opportunity!!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Canton, OH

Pros

The ability to work remotely, at home with non-scheduled hours....therefore, there is a great work / life balance!!
    This is the best work at home opportunity that I have found that is truly legitimate!!!
    The salary and PTO are above average, as well as the amount of paid holidays that are offered to part time employees as well as full time employees.
    Career advancement is huge since this is a start-up company that is growing rapidly.
    Management is approachable and willing to help grow and advance employee careers.
    Also, often times we are asked for our opinions to help improve the experience of glassdoor.com for the user....it makes me feel like management respects my opinon.
    Finally, I have found that it is fun reading about other people's experiences all day....sometimes I forget that I am actually working!!

Cons

I guess the biggest thing would be working 7 days a week to keep up with all of the data.
    Also, the work can be monotonous somedays doing the same "type" of analyzing for hours on end.
    Sometimes working remotely causes a lack of communication and a lack of team feeling. There is also not alot of feedback about job performance because of the lack of daily interaction with management.
    Finally, working from home is great, but not seeing other people can sometimes make you crazy!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! So far this has been a great opportunity.....keep making changes as necessary to make the website easy to navigate and search.