Glassdoor - Passionate, respectful and proud | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"Passionate, respectful and proud"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud of the work I've done, but being proud of what my company does has been less common. The opportunity to take everything I've learned and apply it in a way that helps myself, my co-workers, and our site's visitors is nice -- being recognized and appreciated for the work I do is even better. The team is passionate and respectful, which is a perfect combination for a happy and productive work environment.

Cons

There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated schedule, but the biggest downside is the location -- I miss being able to ride the train to work every day.

Advice to Management

There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We have a strong team -- working together, I'm sure we can go in the right direction.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 25, 2014 – Sales

Thank you for our first review!

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"Good people and great mission but lack of career progression"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor EMEA is a small team, people genuinely care about one another and about the mission of the company. We work with the best brands in the world and we've been growing rapidly which means that no two days are the same on the job, regardless of which team you sit on - it's exciting to be part of that growth. The organization is fairly flat and the executive team in the US is welcoming of feedback, and over the past few months has been communicating with more transparency with the EMEA group which has been well received - we're getting new offices in EMEA that are better aligned to the type of company Glassdoor is, and that's exciting.

Cons

There are cons that are associated with the growing pains of being a start up and they're not negatives as such but to someone coming from a larger organization those might be challenging - for example, working at Glassdoor EMEA is a demanding job and it is not your typical 9-5. It also requires that you roll up your sleeves and pitch in where help is needed, even if it's not in your direct area of expertise (that means helping with external events, organizing team events to build culture and morale, etc). If you're not prepared to do that, this is not the place for you, at least at this stage of Glassdoor's growth.
    Glassdoor reacts very slowly to feedback - it reacts, which is appreciated, but it often takes months (and in some cases years) of mentioning certain challenges in order for senior management in the US to take action. We are still small enough - let's not wait until things get too dire.
    Then there are cons that in my opinion are preventing strong talent from staying and growing and they are the real challenges of Glassdoor EMEA - there are almost no opportunities for career progression (unless, in my opinion, you are an SDR and move into a sales / account management role) and it is a topic that does not get addressed well enough, especially for a company with the mission of Glassdoor. It is a topic that many people discuss amongst themselves and there is a general feeling of not being able to progress, but that management is vague about.

Advice to Management

Create a transparent path for career growth within EMEA and focus on investing in and developing your employees - and if that opportunity doesn't exist just yet, be open and honest about it. The message of "long term there will be tons of opportunities, when we go into new markets etc" is not helpful and does not allow people to grow within the company and to feel like year after year they are valued and supported to develop their career in a direction that makes them feel satisfied at work, especially as at the same time we search externally for local management.

"On the cusp of greatness...but don’t expect it to be handed to you. Work hard for it."

Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - PR and Corporate Affairs in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Depending on the role you have at Glassdoor, you can own, market, sell or develop a product which is not only highly influential but one that everyone wants to talk to you about. Pretty cool right? How often do you get to say you’re working for a business which is truly disrupting an industry? Well, Glassdoor is. And, at the very least, a job here will mean you immediately become an attractive candidate to all sorts of companies, from small start-ups right through to larger established businesses looking for someone with experience in a top-tier US-based tech company.

After more than two years, I remain as committed as ever to the business because as well as always trying to be a loyal employee, I also believe and understand the mission. That’s of utmost importance. If you don’t believe in the mission here (or are not a good fit), you won’t last very long. This company is extremely agile and can make quick decisions if they notice something isn’t quite right. I like that.

Personally, I work with an exceptional bunch of individuals from my senior leaders based in our San Francisco HQ to my colleagues and friends here in the London office. Our CEO is seriously impressive, authentic and transparent, will give you face time if needed and makes an effort to get to know you. In my experience, the same can also be said for our senior leaders who now come to London/Dublin on a quarterly basis.

Perform (or try new things) and you’ll be handsomely rewarded. Hide and you’ll get found out.

Cons

We’ve spoken and Glassdoor has listened. Both London and Dublin office spaces are being upgraded and the benefits structure is being looked at across both European teams to fit the needs of most. I think HR/senior leaders will be the first to admit that they dropped the ball in terms of setting up a competitive EMEA benefits package when we launched a few years ago, but it’s great that we’ve all had frank and open conversations about putting this right. This was a major con, but slowly we’re getting there.

In terms of benefits, perks and office spaces, we are still some way off the likes of Facebook, LinkedIn, Expedia, AirBnB, Uber et al. And that’s okay, because we are just not there yet as a business. But, if that’s what you’re after/expecting, simply don’t apply and come back in five years. Our founders also started Expedia, so they know what they need to do to get to that level.

Advice to Management

The positive shift in terms of PR, sales performance and general sentiment for Glassdoor across the UK, in particular, is palpable. Continue to grow certain teams in Europe and give us the tools we need to support monetisation of the business. We want to help make Glassdoor the most high-profile and successful job site across EMEA.

Glassdoor Response

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

Thank you for your review. Glassdoor strives to be an open and transparent company and I am glad to hear that you feel your input has been heard in a range of ways. We're glad you're part of the team!... More