Glassdoor - A new standard for what a startup should be. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"A new standard for what a startup should be."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run.

Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed.

Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that.

The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod.

While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary.

On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later.

The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Advice to Management

Remember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"Passionate, respectful and proud"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud of the work I've done, but being proud of what my company does has been less common. The opportunity to take everything I've learned and apply it in a way that helps myself, my co-workers, and our site's visitors is nice -- being recognized and appreciated for the work I do is even better. The team is passionate and respectful, which is a perfect combination for a happy and productive work environment.

Cons

There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated schedule, but the biggest downside is the location -- I miss being able to ride the train to work every day.

Advice to Management

There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We have a strong team -- working together, I'm sure we can go in the right direction.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 25, 2014 – Sales

Thank you for our first review!

"Huge Potential in EMEA - Needs Some Major Changes."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Glassdoor because of our amazing values, the intelligent people and the innovative product. It’s been an incredible experience working in the EMEA Headquarters and I definitely got what I applied for.

The product - Glassdoor is changing the way people look for jobs and so many people I know have used Glassdoor to help them in their job search. It's really inspiring to be part of that - even though we work on the employer side.

It's an exciting time to be part of Glassdoor EMEA. In the last 2 years, clients have become a lot more open to discussing Glassdoor and putting budget aside for employer branding. The product is going to get easier to sell and clients are seeing more ROI. The office is beginning to grow again (after some heavy attrition last year) which is great to experience if you are looking to grow your sales career and get access to opportunities outside your primary role eg. Training new employees, being involved in interviews ect.

The office is young, most people are under 35. There's good fun and there's great banter between employees. It's a becoming a collaborative environment which is great to see and there is a close-nit feel, especially in the SDR team.

Access to Stock Options. As a pre-IPO company you have the chance to purchase stock (after a vesting period) with the potential to make money if Glassdoor IPO's or gets acquired.

Cons

Firstly, there’s needs to be more transparent communication. Some of our senior leaders aren’t really open to feedback and it’s left some employees feeling frustrated and unheard. This has led a number of people to leave. We want to practice what we preach with the product that we sell eg. Read the reviews on our page, take feedback on board, make relevant changes but that’s not happening in EMEA. This leads to people speaking to each other in private and not giving feedback to management (because they know it's unlikely anything will be done), which creates a toxic environment. It's hard to keep positive about your job when that's going on, even if you're doing well.

The office needs to be improved. There are two separate rooms, and often a bad smell because of a leak. This separates and isolates some employees, which is detrimental at our young stage when we're trying to build a sustainable culture.

The benefits and perks don't match up at all to other American tech companies in Dublin. This is to be expected at the stage of growth we are at but it's important to know this if you are applying that there are no free lunches (excuse the pun) or big budgets for team outings/activities! This will be there in the future I'd say.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback, take the reviews on board. We are grateful of so much but there is also a lot we need to improve on and every time we speak up, we feel ignored.

It would be great if we had more leaders from EMEA. They would ideally have have a deeper understanding of the UK market, the local working culture and experience in growing an office here. Our leaders have done a great job in getting us this far, now we need local expertise to attract and retain the right employees and get us to the next level of growth.

A new office space would make a big difference in employee happiness and productivitiy.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for creating an amazing company! I’ve no doubt that Glassdoor EMEA will reach the heights that we are aiming for with a few changes.

Glassdoor Response

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. I’m sorry to hear that things aren’t going as expected. As you know, we take these comments very seriously. To address your feedback on... More