Glassdoor - A new standard for what a startup should be. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Glassdoor

"A new standard for what a startup should be."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run.

Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed.

Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that.

The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod.

While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary.

On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later.

The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

Advice to Management

Remember that corporate culture is set when a company is young. Remember that people process data in different ways; some are analytical, and some are more intuitive. Both work, just differently. Remember that if we develop an incredible application that people have fun using, the profits will come naturally.

Other Employee Reviews for Glassdoor

"Passionate, respectful and proud"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Sausalito, CA

Pros

First and foremost is the excitement of building something that will make a difference. In my career, it's generally been easy to be proud of the work I've done, but being proud of what my company does has been less common. The opportunity to take everything I've learned and apply it in a way that helps myself, my co-workers, and our site's visitors is nice -- being recognized and appreciated for the work I do is even better. The team is passionate and respectful, which is a perfect combination for a happy and productive work environment.

Cons

There are the standard pains of building a brand new functional product (and everything to support it) under an accelerated schedule, but the biggest downside is the location -- I miss being able to ride the train to work every day.

Advice to Management

There are many options for growth, including some we may not have considered yet. We have a strong team -- working together, I'm sure we can go in the right direction.

Glassdoor Response

Aug 25, 2014 – Sales

Thank you for our first review!

"Onboarding process is amazing"

Current Employee - Head of Channel Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Channel Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made to very welcome
    Team are really supportive
    management are really supportive
    Training both locally and Globally
    Everything set to go on day one

Cons

Time difference with helpdesk being in the States - a slight delay on getting IT issues fixed

Advice to Management

More EU help

Glassdoor Response

Jan 6, 2017 – Chief Revenue Officer

This is great to hear and we appreciate the feedback! We have made several changes to the on-boarding process over the last year and we have more work to do but very glad to hear you had a positive ... More