GlaxoSmithKline - GSK will weather the current storm well | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

"GSK will weather the current storm well"

Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Innovation, career opportinities within the company, sense of purpose, pride in products, working with very smart and passionate people, compensation and benefit package is hard to beat.

Cons

Current economic climate and change in leadership resulting in many reoganizations, job insecurity. The comapany is so large that there are many bureaucratic processes and effective communication is difficult. Culture does not reward honesty and open communication. Maintaining 2 US headquarters and dual leadership in many areas did not allow the creation of a single corporate culture in the US.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees. Ask for and act on honest feedback on how to improve the business. The people working at the 5 foot level know what is going on in their area of expertise. The company culture supports discussing the "good" and not the "bad" or "ugly."

Other Employee Reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

"GSK - great job with little security"

Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

I still feel that GSK offers the best products in their respected classes, and that makes it easy to sell a product and be proud and able to sleep at night. I never feel like I am persuading a doctor to do something that is not the best possible treatment. Aside from products, the health benefits are great, and you start with 3 weeks vacation plus year end shut down.

Cons

I never feel like my job is safe. Layoffs two years in a row, and there was very little correlation to success and to those who were let go.

Advice to Management

There are a million companies to work for in this industry. Keep the pay competitive and make me proud to work for GSK.

2. "Good starter job, improvement needed with career advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

GSK has a good reputation among the healthcare community. Their products are often best-in-class in many therapeutic areas. Personally, I did quite well working as a executive sales rep. finishing in the top 1% for performance three consecutive years in the Phoenix area.

The compensation and expectations were fair.

Cons

The company did nothing to retain my services when a personal crisis forced me to move back East. This experience really soured my image of the company and left me to believe that they do not value the needs of their employees despite what I had done for the company.

Also, the company needs to improve the process for applying for career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Construct an easy to follow protocol for career advancement