GlaxoSmithKline - Awesome Company! | Glassdoor

"Awesome Company!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent development opportunities, competitive pay, awesome work/life balance and benefits.

Cons

Company is too UK focused.

Other Employee Reviews for GlaxoSmithKline

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay & benefits, great products & amazing training!!

Cons

Not much job security in pharmaceuticals

Advice to Management

Keeping the oldest reps around isn't always the best business move. My partners quit working while I busted my butt. No hard feelings after layoffs but trust me when I say it wasn't the best decision you made.

"No Career Advancement Opportunities"

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great work-life balance. Most salaried employees within R&D are only required to work 35 hours per week. Also, flexible work schedules are a nice bonus.

Cons

Compensation is low compared to the industry. There is no room for career advancement. Many of the internal programs within R&D to promote top talent are advertised at a management level which is too high above those that are early on in their career (5-10 yrs in). Trying to move around within the organization is tough too. Management doesn't value their internal employees as much as they do external job applicants. The fact that middle managers within GSK have no confidence in their own workforce and would rather hire external pretty much sums up how they treat their employees once you get a job there.

Advice to Management

No matter what form of communication comes from senior leadership, middle managers continue to promote their self serving behavior and twist any form of communication in their favor. My advice to senior leadership would be to pinpoint the top heavy R&D organization and overhaul the "grandfathered-in" middle managers that are halting the companies growth and start investing in younger human capital. It's not the '90's anymore. It's time to start investing in talented employees that have a fresh perspective on the industry.