Glidewell Laboratories - Glidewell laboratory- | Glassdoor

"Glidewell laboratory-"

Former Employee - Supervisor I in Newport Beach, CA
Former Employee - Supervisor I in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Paid training--minimum wage
Benefits
Some managers are capable and ethical

Cons

No career advancement
Very low pay
Management not eager to protect employees

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for Glidewell Laboratories

"Promotes fear of management and obedience over intelligence and creativity"

I have been working at Glidewell Laboratories full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Glidewell makes products that are generally of good quality and that benefit humankind.

Cons

Bosses frequently reward obedience over intelligence and creativity -- even when intelligence and creativity will *definitely* lead to higher profits and benefits to the company. (Case in point: Though I am very embarrassed to submit this review anonymously, if I were to use my name or job title I worry that I would lose my job. My boss or his/her boss would figure out some way to get rid of me, even if it were for something trivial. This is not hypothetical; I have seen this happen.)

In another part of this review I gave Jim Glidewell a "disapprove" rating, and my "cons" require an explanation: It is only within the climate created under his leadership that poor managers are hired and retained, with no apparent interest in fostering a culture of creativity or genuine employee loyalty (i.e., not fear-based "loyalty"). Glidewell's culture is a "yes-man" culture -- that is, a culture in which management is uninterested in hearing new or differing views. If you speak your honest opinions, and if those opinions are different from those of your boss (even if those opinions are based on facts *and* would financially benefit the company), your boss may very well find some way to fire you or make your life so miserable that you will quit.

Advice to Management

(1) Listen to employees (including what you read here), but work to ensure that they will not be punished for telling you the truth, (2) Take courses in leadership, (3) Use 360-degree performance evaluation, (3) Add the following new lines to managers' performance evaluation forms: (a) Extent to which you have rewarded creativity in your subordinates, (b) Extent to which your subordinates value your opinion, (c) Extent to which subordinates fear you, (d) Extent to which you gave public credit to subordinates for their excellent work, and (e) How much time did you spend on *developing* your subordinates?

2. "A private dental laboratory that strives to achieve customer needs and ensure quality of dental products"

Pros

ability to change efficiently with different customer needs

Cons

High education should be a need for the company