Glu - I had a good run | Glassdoor

"I had a good run"

Current Employee - Artist in Kirkland, WA
Current Employee - Artist in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic work environment
- Awesome and talented people

Cons

- Lower than average pay
- Top management sucks

Advice to Management

- Know what you want instead of keep changing
- Stop going for the whales, they are rare

Other Employee Reviews for Glu

1. "Good to great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader. SF location great. Company knows how to pivot during difficult times. New executive team has true industry leading expertise and runs circles around prior folks.

Cons

Pivoting during difficult times can be distracting for teams. Had inefficient studios in Brazil and Kirkland who couldn't learn how to make games that were stand alone profitable. Brazil had to be shut down and Kirkland seriously reduced to cross the chasm.

Advice to Management

Have all hands meetings with multi locations present. Explain to teams the need for stand alone studios needing to be stand alone self sufficient. Keep improving the talent hiring.

"Top heavy management. Strangled creative teams."

I worked at Glu full-time

Pros

Free Caltrain pass. Stable income. Creative talent was monumental in the studio. I've never worked with a harder working group of individuals with such a passion for making great games.

Cons

The company is ridiculously top-heavy. Demands are made on the studios to add flavor-of-the-month features that have proven time and time again to be useless and annoying to users. They then strangle the studio budgets and hire more executives. Office was cramped, loud, and distracting.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the people who actually create your video games. Half of you have never touched a game in your life, much less built one. Instead you simply try to copy other companies then overwork your studios to the point where people quit from burnout.

I watched some of the most gifted designers, artists, and programmers leave Glu in disgust because they were ignored, overworked, and frustrated.

You then turn around and hire more EPs. You know what else we could have hired for the cost of one EP? Two artists, testers, programmers... people who, you know, make games. Start acting like a game company and less like EA Lite. Otherwise you will continue to bleed talent until you are bought out.