GoDaddy - So incredibly frustrating | Glassdoor

"So incredibly frustrating"

Current Employee - Sadly, afraid to say... in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Sadly, afraid to say... in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Go Daddy has an unlimited vacation policy, their managers takes their teams out once a quarter for team building, decent benefits. Pay (if you are coming from the outside) is pretty solid, though raises are anemic at best. The new review system should remove the much-hated bell curve scoring process. Some managers are still trying to make things work. The CEO is rock-solid and absolutely believes in GD and knows what we need to do to make it awesome....but....

Cons

- There is NO communication between the Senior Leaders. Those leaders then tell us what they want done, but don't spend the time, energy, money, or provide direction on how those things should happen. It doesn't get better moving down the ladder from there.
- No environmental standardization, little testing, and too much work to do
- Company is trying to go public. This means no money for anything. This will only get worse as we get closer to that acrid goal.
- Work life balance is non-existent in my department. My boss expects an answer any time, day or night. Emails are often sent at 9am, and you'll get questioned about why you've not answered them already.
- Promotions are non-existent company-wide. The company has hired externally almost exclusively for the last year.
- "Old School" Go Daddy folks (people that have been here more than 5-7 years) will push you to cut corners. Any pushback and you'll be labeled as "not agile".
- Developers rule this place. Any other teams are secondary at best.
- Environment of fear. If you cause an outage, expect you'll be terminated for something unrelated not long afterwards.
- Change control team were all terminated, so little in the way of controls
- Monitoring team was gutted, so very little monitoring or alerting

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding cut corners. If you don't invest in the guts of your company, you can't be surprised when they break. If you don't invest in your people's well being, you can't be surprised then they leave. Stop giving us the end result and start telling us how, exactly, we will get there. Just saying you want something to happen doesn't make it appear out of thin air.

Other Employee Reviews for GoDaddy

"Good company but still having growing pains."

Current Employee - SOC Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - SOC Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Things are slowly moving towards a more structured approach way of handling things. In the past there often seemed to be very little long range planning involved when it came to products. This is gradually improving under the guidance of recent additions to our executive team.

Cons

There is still a long way to go, especially when it comes improving outdated processes. I am also a little concerned that in the eagerness to remake our public image, we are becoming a clone of other big companies.

Advice to Management

Reward the workers who do well, and drop more of the dead weight.

"One of the hardest, but most satisfying jobs I ever had."

Former Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the ability to affect change on a grand scale and significant opportunity for career advancement. In 2010 the COO was 3 levels above me and KNEW me and the members of my groups. Figuring out how to work with such a huge environment was challenging and I had ample chance to feel accomplished.

Cons

Part of GoDaddy's success was that the highest levels took a deep interest in what was happening bellow them. This has it's plusses, but it negatively affected in that every level of my chain of command directly contacted me for information, often the same. Raises were not given with promotions, I received very nice merit increases with review process and one market increase, but still ended my time significantly under salary for my role.