Gold Buyers at the Mall - Stupid | Glassdoor

"Stupid"

Current Employee - General Manager in State College, PA
Current Employee - General Manager in State College, PA

Pros

Pay is ok for management
Can be fun at times

Cons

They take bad buys out of your paycheck, with no care if you can't pay your bills
Everybody in the company is uneducated, they send emails with typos and horrible sentences and that's supposed to inspire us?? Maybe to buy them a dictionary. You have to stand for many hours at a time, and they take away your chair so there is no option to sit. They complain about not hitting numbers, but you cannot control who decides to come in and sell you gold. You have to deal with drug addicts and alcoholics who sell gold to fund their habits. They ask you to call into a conference call when you are not even supposed to be at work yet (ex. 9:30 call, when you are scheduled for a 10am-9pm shift). NO DIRECT DEPOSIT.... so you get paid on the 5th and 20th of every month, given that it is not on a weekend (then you'd have to wait) and then you still have to wait for your check to clear, which can sometimes take a few days. Just stay away, it's not worth it, you will be tired, annoyed, and have to train every couple weeks because the turnover is so high....

Advice to Management

Direct Deposit should be a given to any company. You say that one of your mottos is "treat people right" how are you doing that when you can't even guarantee a paycheck for your people?? Stop expanding, and work on the basics of a good company, you have a long way to go....

Other Employee Reviews for Gold Buyers at the Mall

1. "I miss you guys!!"

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This career was great! Miss you all!

Cons

They went out of business!!

Advice to Management

come back!!

2. "Completely unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The (very few) people that I worked with were enjoyable and the local work environment was very laid back.

Cons

The upper levels of management expected far too much to come from the small booth that we operated. There were many days when the number of flyers that they wanted us to hand out exceeded the number of people that walked past the stand. Instead of providing suggestions for how to get more flyers out they just berated us every day.
    I also ended up being the only associate at the booth after working there for about a week, and there were times when I had to skip classes because my manager had been called away to somewhere else.
    Lastly, the commission from sales is a joke unless you work at one of the larger stores. At the booth I worked at it was impressive if you made more than a dollar extra.

Advice to Management

You need to learn to respect all of your employees. It was incredible how rude the management was to employees because location was not as lucrative as had been expected.