Goldman Sachs - A great working environment, especially for an intern, where everyone watches each other's backs. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

"A great working environment, especially for an intern, where everyone watches each other's backs."

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
Current Intern - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I am an intern, so my view is slightly different than someone who works full time. So far I have loved the experience, and would consider another summer of full time if offered. In the Technology division, a financial background is helpful but certainly not necessary, as your primary job is to develop software, and having an understanding of the end-user's needs is helpful, but can be picked up as you go. The best part about the intern program is how much they focus on your learning, rather than just the value you can add. It's almost like getting paid to take a practical course at school (I've learned and improved that much with programming). Also, the pay is quite good so I can't complain there.

Cons

In the technology division, there is an unacknowledged assumption on the part of HCM that you must not want to work in any other division. For most, this is an accurate assumption and doesn't cause any problems. For some, however, other divisions really may be a better fit, and so it would be good if they were more open to that. My direct manager, to the contrary, was very open to my thoughts of moving divisions, but I certainly had to do all the research and find people myself, as HCM was only encouraging exploring other areas of technology.

Advice to Management

Recognize that sophomore interns really may not have found the right place for them or you (to have them for the firm's benefit) their first summer. Have HCM actually encourage them to explore other divisions and network with people outside of technology if they so desire.

Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs

"Sr developer and team lead"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great benefits, good work-life balance, flexibility to work remotely, great infrastructure setup so as to minimize inconvenience.

Cons

Reduction in team size and expect same amount of work to be done. Some team members report to more than 1 manager and hence leads to frustration, confusion regarding priorities.

"i really like this company"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great pay great people good times

Cons

culture can be backwards but still crazy

Advice to Management

Pay me more let me work less