Goldman Sachs - Right place for a long term career ( I don't know what that means) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

"Right place for a long term career ( I don't know what that means)"

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best people. Self motivated, very dedicated and hard working people.
Great brand name to be in your resume.
You can take up as many responsibilities as you wish. You will be challenged every day.
Very team oriented culture. People work together to get things done rather than criticizing or playing the blame game.
You will learn to multi-task, manage time efficiently, prioritize your tasks, communicate with clients, interact with different stake holders, building really great technical systems

Cons

Absolutely humiliating compensation benefits. 99% of the revenues consumed by senior management.
No rewards for your superior performance. Promotions are based on number of years you stay with the firm.
Most of the technologies used are outdated.
Senior Management keeps brain washing the employees in the name of long term career. There is absolutely no career growth.
I worked in Salt Lake City office. Most of the hires here are either consultants or new hires from local community colleges. If you are from a top ranking university, you will get into depression very soon.
SLC office culture is one of the worst. No work life balance. If you don't go to office by 7 am in the morning, you will have a meeting with your manager. Average work hours are 12-14 hours everyday. No overtime pay for technology employees. Production support can keep you awake through midnight and weekends. No work flexibility as well. You will have to give 100 reasons if you chose to work from home.
Every task is super critical and super sensitive. No room for mistakes. Do a small mistake and you will get criticized for that in your reviews. Deliver a mega project successfully, you will get hardly appreciated with a few good words and no other rewards.
They will keep saying that bonus is a huge part of compensation benefits which is a big lie. In my course of stay at GS, bonus was either zero or negligible.
They will collect all the feedback from you but will never work on them.
The salary for a new hire in SLC office in technology division is $30,000 after taxes. You have to ask yourself if you want to work for 14 hours daily for this salary.

Advice to Management

Share the revenues more equally among all the employees. Don't be super greedy.
Don't misguide everyone in the name of long term career.

Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs

"No Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with will be very intelligent and motivated.
    Everyone is comfortable with technology and innovation is rewarded.
    Great benefits.

Cons

You will start out working 50 hours per week and it will only go up. The compensation is not enough to make up for the fact that you can't do anything but work.
    Turnover is outrageous - I quit after 13 months and I was the most senior member of my team by that point.
    Office politics can be crazy! There is very much a "face time" culture where people feel obligated to spend 11-14 hours per day at the office.

2. "Great company, Great people, Hard work"

Former Intern - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people. Challenging work.

Cons

Long hours. No life. Very demanding.