Goldman Sachs - Summer internship at GS IBD in London | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Goldman Sachs

"Summer internship at GS IBD in London"

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in London, England (UK)
Former Intern - Summer Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Goldman Sachs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked a lot the culture and the attitudes of senior people there. They gave lot of feedback and also had a 'mentoring' grip towards the junior people. Lot of responsibility is also given once one shows one is capable of handling it (e.g. I attended an abroad client meeting where I was asked questions). All in all great experience from which I ended up receiving an offer for the 2013 Analyst program.

Cons

The basic work/life balance is not great but I think it's not significantly worse compared to other IBs in London (I have had two internships and have lot of friends working at other IBs there).

Advice to Management

Although the mentorship culture is great there, there could be even more communication and feedback between junior and senior people. E.g. to have un-/official feedback meetings once in a month.

Other Employee Reviews for Goldman Sachs

"Good pay, but I wasn't satisfied with the quality of work"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    - Excellent management. Managers are always looking to help you out in anyway and listen to your issues if you have any.
    - Excellent feedback system
    - If you're interested in more of finance and less of technology, this is the perfect place to be

Cons

- Too much of context switching. You'd have to switch between supporting users, handling production issues and doing your project work. The switch is so often that you don't feel a sense of accomplishment of a task by the end of the day.
    - There's very little to learn being a technologist. You'd learn about finance and the markets, but your technology learning curve flattens pretty quickly.
    - Very bad work life balance. People tend to come in by around 10 and stay back till 8. Though the managers are perfectly ok by you coming early and leaving early, you wouldn't feel good about leaving early cuz almost the entire team would still be there working.

Advice to Management

- It would be great if you could cut down the context switching and make the employees focus on a single task at a time. I believe they would be more efficient and happy that way.

2. "WHat it likes"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Goldman Sachs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work. I made a lot of friends there. But one thing I would advise for anyone looking into a career within the firm is that you have to have a thick skin, so be prepared to take a lot from people because at times it can be an incredibly unforgiving place.

Cons

Very bureacratic at times. Also they work you incredibly hard there so if you don't like hard work Goldman is not the place for you. For me personally, I have had to sacrifice a lot of my friendships and hardly see them due to always being at work.