Golf Course Superintendents of America - A great place to work and make life long friendships | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Golf Course Superintendents of America

"A great place to work and make life long friendships"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Golf Course Superintendents of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At the time I worked for GCSAA Steve Mona was the CEO. It was an amazing place to work with so many dedicated staff members and wonderful superintendent members. I loved my manager and director and grew tremendously as an employee under their guidance.

Cons

There have been significant changes in the executive staff and reductions in the overall staff since I left. GCSAA is known for never settling and frequently reorganizes the staff in an effort to find perfection. This is often unsettling for the staff and doesn’t usually lead to increased efficiency. I also found the salaries were much lower as compared to other assocations in the Kansas City area.

Other Employee Reviews for Golf Course Superintendents of America

"Underpaid and reported to a horrible manager."

Former Employee - Accounting in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Accounting in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Golf Course Superintendents of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lawrence,KS is a nice town. Location of company is a plus.
    Upper management pleasant and easy to talk to - down to earth.

Cons

They don't pay very well at all.
    My personal experience was tainted because I had a horrible manager.
    Under utilized
    Not a challenging job.
    Very little room to advance.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the way mid level managers relate to their employees. My manager was disliked by her entire staff save maybe one person.

"Sad to watch it self destruct"

Former Employee - Director in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Director in Lawrence, KS

Pros

A fun industry, if you are not worried about job security or good pay. Will learn a lot, but environment is stressful and Board is unreasonable.

Cons

Leadership has been weak in the 2000s, Board thinks they know best how to run an association, so they micromanage. Mass layoffs of senior staff is disruptive and starting salaries are less than they were 20 years ago. Lawrence is a great town, but GCSAA is not engaged in the community at all, not sure why they are still there. Reputation is of high turnover, empty building, Mormon leaders.

Advice to Management

Pick a sustainable organizational model and stick to it. Engage in the community. Don't let the Board micromanage the association, their expertise is in growing grass.