Golfsmith - Great company potential but poor management execution | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Golfsmith

"Great company potential but poor management execution"

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time

Pros

Excellent product offerings and onsite club testing facilities and equipment,which is superior to other retail competitors. Good discounts for employees for merchandise and services.

Cons

Training is informal and written procedures are lacking. Management does not seem to truly care about the emloyees and rarely asks or implements employee improvement ideas.

Advice to Management

Demonstrate more interest in feedback from subordinates which is intended to improve company performance and show more concern about resolving the ongoing struggles of their employees. Formalize training and document work procedures, recognizing that increased productivity and less errors could be realized at a relatively low cost.

Other Employee Reviews for Golfsmith

"Poor Corporate Management"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

Pros

It's always wonderful to work in a field one is passionate about. It may be recreational but it's an important part of a lot of people's lives and it can definitely come through in the customer interactions how much they care. That's probably the only pro.

Cons

Golfsmith is currently in bankruptcy due to the ineptitude of the executives and the board. They went public far before the company was ready to acquire capital to expand the company while the number of golfers steadily declined. They then borrowed an incredible amount more money to merge with another company (Golf Town). Those debts are still unpaid. So now Golf Town is being sold and the debt from the merger remains.

Even before the financial issues, there was very little upward mobility for those in the stores, raises were very small and infrequent, despite their copious spending. Bonus plan was inadequate at best and there was no 401K participation.

The environment and corporate message, despite who was in charge, was always one of urgency and disapproval. Nothing ever good enough, no focus on successes, just "only this matters and we aren't good enough" until 2 months later that something was something else entirely. Corporate leadership has run the company into the ground just as we're nearing the 50th anniversary in 2017.

Advice to Management

Growth can be healthy, but growth unchecked is cancer.

"I would never recommend this job to anyone. This company has no interest in women especially my location!"

Current Employee - Apparel Specialist in Si Sa Ket (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Apparel Specialist in Si Sa Ket (Thailand)

I have been working at Golfsmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts
    events
    Pay
    Nothing else is good about this place. Stay far away from this so called company.

Cons

Management, schedule, time off, poor everything. They can't even supply cleaning items. Customers think they have power over us because Managers tell us no but say yes to the customer. Making us look bad.

Advice to Management

Eliminate sexist management before you have a law suit. Don't brown nose the customer