GoodLife Fitness - personal trainer | Glassdoor

"personal trainer"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Personal Trainer in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-work independently
-make your own hours
-great lifestyle

Cons

-pressure to make large sales
-high employee turn over

Other Employee Reviews for GoodLife Fitness

1. "It is a a sales driven company 100 percent focussed on making money."

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GoodLife Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Of all the fitness chains they are the most ethical. They provide the most opportunity for advancement if you want to be in fitness.

Cons

They control every little detail of your day to day job. Require constant practice of word for word sales scripts, cold calling, and aggressive sales goals. You are required to make a certain number of calls, consults etc every day and they check it daily. If you want to be told every minute of every shift what you should be doing this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and get an HR director that knows what they are doing. The 1990 Boiler Room sales tactics are over and customers and employees are not impressed with the sales focus of your business.

2. "Fair Place to Work"

Former Employee - Membership Coordinator in North York, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Membership Coordinator in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at GoodLife Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading some of the reviews, I have to say I was really please with my Assistant Managers. They were always there to listen, and offer solutions as they previously worked my position. GM was a bit creepy, but a nice guy. He didn't micromanage, but when Regional manager or higher ups came in he would play the role.

Pay was above average for those who were willing to work hard for it.

Getting to change people's lives.

Members were generally great, or course a few bad apples, but that would be the case in any business.

Cons

Work/Life Balance was terrible. You are told you will be working 10 hour days with a 2 hour break in the middle of the day for a mandatory workout and lunch. A lot of days, you are expected and encouraged to stay longer by management to earn higher commissions, which would be great if it was fruitful.

Call Canvas (calling prospective members) was brutal, and the timing they had us do it was dumb.

Schedule of your day is as such:

11am: Sales Meeting (recapping the previous day, letting the managers know what you had planned for current day)

11:30am-1:00pm Call Canvas

1pm-3pm Work/Lunch

3:00pm: Service meeting (reviewing training, policies, etc)

3:30-5:00pm Call Canvas

5:00-9:00pm: Your appoinments. (Expected to have 5-6 daily which you dont need to have if your good. Expected to convert about 1 in 3)

Considering most people work 9-5, having two (and your only two) call canvas times within these hours is really dumb. If I was a prospective member, I would be annoyed coming home to 2 different messages per day from someone asking for my money.

DAS Books (Daily Activity Schedule) - If you are the type that has trouble staying organized, this isnt a con. However, when you have been there for over 6 months and are consistently hitting your numbers, having to record everything you have done for a 2nd time to appease regional managers is a waste of time, and a cause of dissent among employees.

Advice to Management

Tell Patch that having his quotes and his name on everything ( ie. - Goodlife TV, books, membership cards) is a tad egotistic. Always found it weird when we had to call into head office to look into customers issues we had to listen to Patch quotes for 20 mins when on hold. Its really weird. I mean, I am sure he is a really nice guy, but I don't know if he understands how creepy he comes across.