Google - Can be a good and bad place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Can be a good and bad place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

yes most of the people who wanted to work at Google would think about all the perks they will get and yeah that's right. Google's benefits are pretty much the best so far I've ever recieved i.e. insurance, massage, food, etc. The people here are ones of the smartest people I've worked. Google has great products that everyone really enjoys to use.

Cons

lots of work, stress, some workers are acting a little too arrogant and look down other new employees.
It's ridiculously hard to get hired at Google. They place a premium value on your pedigree (education, GPA, even outside interests) rather than on your skills and ability to contribute on a practical level. A Stanford grad with a 4.0 GPA doesn't automatically make a better employee than a UC grad. Or even (gasp!) someone without a degree at all.

There's no career path, and no career planning. I never had a good manager, much less a mentor, the entire time I was there. The people who got promoted were the ones who kissed up and knew how to play the game.

Low salaries. I know there are a lot of perks to "make up for it," but I'd rather have the money and decide how to spend it myself. Not being a new grad fresh out of college, I didn't care about the perks.

Advice to Management

Be open minded!
Watch the attitude. That whole "we're Google, everybody wants to work here" mindset is getting old. Consider hiring people who aren't rocket scientists.

Invest in your employees! You're great about giving them physical perks; now trying investing in their careers. Have a true performance management system. Really sit down with your employees and figure out their goals and career paths. Give them managers who are mentors and advocates.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Great benefits, the people depend on the group"

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Everyone knows they have great benefits, but apart from that they also have an amazing amount of resources, excellent process guidelines, and great information sources to improve in your work. The people are really talented, and most are willing to help you. If you land in a good group you'll have a dream job. If not, you'll be stuck in a regular job, but it will still have a lot of great things attached to it, so how is it worse or different than other jobs? The food is as great or better than what people say about it. The weather in Mountain View also helps.

Cons

People really do feel entitled. I've seen some of the pettiest, most childish and selfish behavior from Googlers. Of course they're not all like that, but it can get embarrassing to watch.
    Also, some groups really do behave like a bunch of college freshmen or even pre-schoolers. For people who have a few more years of experience, I doubt they will find this to be a comfortable work environment.
    Some people really do consider themselves to be superior to others just because they work there.

Advice to Management

I didn't experience any problems with management

"Interesting, Challenging, but Cramped"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Interesting, challenging work for something I care about.

Cons

Too many people jammed into a cramped, noisy office space.

Advice to Management

Use the vast office space that currently sits empty to give people more space.