Google - Fantastic place to intern! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Fantastic place to intern!"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern

Pros

1. Very smart and rational co-workers/managers, most of them (even the superstars) down-to-earth and approachable.
2. Good salary and some benefits (e.g., food/drinks/outings/events), even for interns.
3. The general atmosphere is very vibrant, morale is very upbeat, and both of these contribute to productivity for sure.
4. The ability to make an impact is incredible - there is already a powerful platform with wide reach, so you are sure to have your work get a "first look", sustained interest depends upon the usefulness of the contribution though.
5. Especially for interns, it is a great feeling to have your opinions heard and respected, even on critical long-term projects.
6. Diverse engineering crowd, unlike other tech. companies like Cisco and Microsoft which are Asian/Indian heavy - this is good or bad depending on your preference.

Cons

1. Because the peer group is so good, expectations run high, as a result many people have to put in long hours.
2. Many engineers do not seem to engage in 20% projects - they can do these only if they find time from their main projects, which, due to point 1 above, is difficult without seriously affecting work/life balance.
3. I hear that career growth within the company is challenging - if you are someone who runs after job titles, this is not the place for you - you might end up having same/similar job titles for many years.

Advice to Management

Not in a position to give advice, but I think individual career growth is something that needs to be focused on.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "2 cents"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

flexible time to work and perks

Cons

stress some times quite big

Advice to Management

higher salary

"Great place to work for programmers."

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Google offers a very goal-oriented and challenging work environment. The Google name on the resume opens up many doors in the software industry.

I grew as a programmer at Google. The scale of the development work is virtually unmatched in the industry and that needs out-of-the box thinking.

The best part of the job was working with so many smart people. I learned more from my colleagues than I did in college.

I also loved free food:) The informal work culture at Google is something I truly enjoyed.

Cons

I did feel burn out at times. I also took work home many times.

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance