Google - It deserves it's "Best Place To Work" title. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"It deserves it's "Best Place To Work" title."

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Google was founded based on the ideals of having a comfortable work environment, and it shows. Free food and tons and tons of benefits are available. Other examples include free bikes, on-site gyms and massages, free shuttle busses around the bay area, and even free co-op cars for employees who bike to work.

Aside from the benefits, the people at Google are also what makes it stand out: you'll constantly be in close proximity to some of the smartest people (albeit some are weird) around. Of course since there are so many projects, the work quality can vary, but I was extremely happy with my assigned work when I was there as an Intern.

Cons

Since there are so make projects going on a Google, you may be hired and work on something not so interesting. Of course there are opportunities to change your team, it may take a while. Similarly, since some projects are just experimental projects, it's possible that your project is shut down and you're moved to something else.

Though not technically a 'downside', the only reason I am not returning to Google is because of the lack of hiring right now. I was interviewed and offered a full-time job, however it wasn't in the type of work that I wanted to do. This is also the case with a handful of other interns that I know.

Advice to Management

I didn't deal with Senior management enough to have an opinion.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

By far the top reason is working with smart, competent people and the opportunity to have a big positive impact on the world. The resources and infrastructure are very nice as well.

In general, Google is an engineering-centric company, and it is a great place to be a software engineer.

Cons

The bottom up culture is fun, but sometimes it can feel a bit chaotic with a sense of duplicated effort.

Since everything must function at huge scale, it can sometimes take frustratingly long to get things done.

Working with very talented people can bring on a certain amount of self-inflicted pressure to be productive.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to distinguish the top contributors from the bottom.

"It's okay"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great culture, speakers always come to give great lectures on everything from molecular science to political science. The food is very very good, as are the snacks. I'm sure it doesn't hurt on your resume either. In addition, the management generally does care about your personal life...this is not a company that forces you to work 24/7.

Cons

Promotion and career path are not clear at all. The management is not always great, particularly if you're in the Online Sales and Operations organization. The pay is very very low, despite what you may imagine (those that made a lot of money are those that were hired before the IPO)

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and give them promotions faster, otherwise people will feel antsy and leave.