Google - Unprecedented employee trust, difficult career advancement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Unprecedented employee trust, difficult career advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

More than any other workplace, Google trusts its employees. Each engineer has access to almost the entire codebase and there is very little micromanaging.

Cons

It's hard to get promoted. Performance is decided mostly by your peers, which means promotion is essentially a popularity contest.

Advice to Management

Most managers at google have 20+ direct reports and are extremely busy, but the ones who take the time to speak to their reports about what they need to do differently to advance their career are the stars.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Smart people and amazing perks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Working with smart people daily, amazing gourmet free food, fantastic career growth opportunities within Google. If you don't like the project you're working on, you can transfer to a different project, even to be a different "type" of engineer (e.g. frontend/backend/storage). I work with people who've worked on several projects at Google.

Working on projects that you genuinely believe help make the world a better place, helping users connect with each other or give them greater access to information.

I like the direction Larry has taken the company, feels more focused now than before.

Very pro-women, pro-LGBT, pro-minority environment. I'm a female software engineer and have not seen a shred of the sexism or attitude towards women that I've experienced at other workplaces.

Cons

While not totally necessary, being on a higher profile project helps with recognition and career advancement. I work on one such project and have since I've been at Google, so I can't really say what it's like if you work on other projects.

Having a good manager (as I do) is definitely important to being promoted and getting put on projects where you can earn recognition. Not all managers are as awesome as mine and their reports suffer for it in terms of career growth and interesting tasks to work on.

Advice to Management

Better training for engineering managers. A good manager is crucial to career growth at Google, and not all engineers make good managers.

2. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

- Sets the bar for employee perks
    - Work with some of the best in the industry
    - Develop content on projects used globally

Cons

- Sometimes a bit too relaxed
    - Lots of internally developed tools that can only be learned on the job

Advice to Management

Can feel a bit fragmented internally among the various teams, and it is challenging at first to understand the various groups, their roles, and how to get certain tasks done.