Google - Not quite paradise, but not bad either. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Not quite paradise, but not bad either."

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The perks and the people. Everyone knows Google so when you say you work there you don't have to explain what it means. The idea that when I checked in code to production, billions of people would be hitting it the next day - very heady.

Cons

I got pretty chubby, but that's my own fault. The brutal interview process means people who work there all think they're hot stuff even if they aren't. Downright obnoxious people work there, there are no standards for managers. Everyone is working on 5 projects so nobody pays attention to everything they need to. Ultra-competitive, passive-aggressive culture.

Advice to Management

Get out of China until you can do it right. You shouldn't have grown so fast in '05 and '06, your culture went down the drain.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Google: A New Kind of Employer for A New Century"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

I like working at Google as an SRE (Site Reliability Engineer) because it is a job that combines my skills as a professional software engineer and self-taught system administrator. The work I do is quite varied so I don't get bored doing the same thing over and over like I have done at other companies.

Since Google is a well-established corporation they can afford to provide some of the best benefits that other companies can't/don't provide. Unlike startups, you don't have to worry about the company going belly-up nor do you have to work unreasonable hours.

We have free food in the form of many cafes all over the area each with a varied menu of foods. There's even a concern program that allows employees to call certain specialists for free advice -- e.g. you can ask a lawyer for some legal advice or talk to a therapist, amongst other services.

The company even offers up to 3 months of paid medical leave..

Aside from benefits, job security, and exciting projects, everyone there is very intelligent and good peers/team-mates are essential in any corporation.

Cons

Large corporations have a certain bureaucracy and more red tape than startups, naturally.

Promotions at Google require either someone to nominate you (rare) or self-nomination during regular performance review cycles.

Performance review cycles are a big pain and context interrupt. Many share this view though it is believed to be a necessary evil.

Advice to Management

Not high up enough to have an opinion on this and get involved in company politics. Have only worked here about a year..

2. "a great place to work if you're self-directed and highly motivated"

Former Employee - Business Side in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Business Side in Mountain View, CA

Pros

interesting challenges that change every day. feel good about what you're doing. financial rewards

Cons

lack of management feedback and direction, long hours

Advice to Management

look beyond traditional metrics of accomplishment to find employees who are successful by non-traditional standards