Google - It's OK as a contractor. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"It's OK as a contractor."

Former Contractor - Business Specialist in Portland, OR
Former Contractor - Business Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, enthusiasm, lots of free Google stuff (bags, jackets, shirts, etc.). Cool technology - new phones, tablets and computers to use and test on the job. It's exciting to work on things that you know people use and love.

Cons

You kind of have to drink the kool-aid. So enthusiasm over new acquisitions can be over the top. You've got use and LOVE (or pretend to) new projects like Wave, Google+, Google Local, etc. As a contractor, you're definitely on the bottom of the heap.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the length and scope of our projects. My position was supposed to be 3 months, but lasted about 8 (not complaining about that necessarily) but slowly morphed into sales. When it ended, it was sudden. No warning - just 10 people called into a meeting (our whole team) and told this was the last day so turn in our equipment.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"If it's too good to be true..."

Current Intern - Ops in Mountain View, CA
    Current Intern - Ops in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and looks good on the resume

Cons

There are some very snobbish, insulting, and vulgar people here. Imagine a country club and a technology company had a kid. Now that kid is a spoiled elitist brat that thinks everything they do is amazing.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Picking clean Ivy Leaguers and tossing them in a role is not always a plan for success. When it does work, don't burn them out and replace them like a strobe light bulb at a rave.

2. "Amazing internship opportunity"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You're going to learn a lot about developing high-quality code at Google, guaranteed. Lots of experts around to help you, really great coworkers, world-famous benefits, and the expectation that you'll produce real code during your internship. I highly identify with their values and core mission, and most people there feel the same way. They also paid me a lot for an inexperienced intern.

Cons

It can feel slightly bureaucratic due to its size, but really not to a huge extent. I had maybe one 15-minute meeting per week, a couple HR things to deal with here and there, and that's it.