Google - Amazing perks, vibrant community, but limited career progression for non-engineers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Amazing perks, vibrant community, but limited career progression for non-engineers"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are unparalleled. 3 meals a day and unlimited snacks, gym and comprehensive fitness program, laundry machines, bowling alley, intramural and other special interest clubs, full class schedules and speakers

Cons

Limited career progression for non-engineers. It's a great place to be if you're a middle aged and settled down with a family. It's become very political and hard to get things done with so many departments and matrices.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "A Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

Google has a very good culture. Management is very open with employees and information flows from top to bottom continuously.
    Google has a lot of learning opportunities.
    A lot of authors and researchers come to present their work and give talks to employees.
    Benefits are good.

Cons

The main campus is very crowded. People share either large cubicles or work in open space so it is very easy to get distracted specially when a group of people have a discussion or someone speaks on the phone. It can also be hard to find a good place make a personal phone call.

"A great summer software engineering internship at Google"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere in Google's offices can best be described as "college-like." It's about as far from the Dilbert-esque corporate boredom as you could possibly get. The food was great, and while I stayed in the office for long hours every day, my work schedule didn't feel oppressive to me, simply because it was such a nice work environment. The meals, microkitchens, and enjoyment of just taking a break and walking around the building and finding random pool tables, porch swings, and napping pods made staying in the office an enjoyable experience--not to mention the challenging and interesting project that I was working on.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Google is linked to the college-like atmosphere--there is not enough space in the Mountain View office in which I worked. Our room had 16 people in it when there should have been no more than nine. To someone like me who is easily distracted by extraneous noise and conversation, I found it challenging to filter out the distractions of overhearing so many other conversations. I found it necessary to wear ear buds with good noise insulation, and to pipe white noise through my earphones, in order to concentrate well enough to be productive.