Google - Software Engineer Intern | Glassdoor

"Software Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Former Intern - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- best learning experience ever

Cons

- you might get used to their amazing culture and forget that you might be able to do more than working there

Advice to Management

- no specific advice

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "Work with really smart people who like to have fun and continue learning."

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Classes on many subjects. Free food.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Low hourly rate for the amount of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Keep moving fast.

"No longer a startup mentality"

Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I began at Google pre-IPO so my experience is based on the way the company evolved over time from a smallish company of less than 600 employees, to the tens of thousands that work there today. Google is, as expected, an incredible place to work. Your colleagues will be brilliant and the work environment is world-class. The projects are interesting and there is the constant state of wonder you will get when seeing work you completed actually deployed, and used, by people all over the world. On top of that, the company allows for incredible personal development, both professionally and with regards to non-work related interests. Guest speakers and lectures have ranged from celebrity visitors, to heads of state, to famous bloggers with specific domain expertise like "The Strobist" whose blog is followed by the photography cognoscenti.

Cons

I've since left Google; many of my early-day colleagues have moved to more nimble environments where the work has a deeper impact. The company has gotten very "heavy" with many layers of experts, all who bring the complexity they developed from other world-class companies they have worked in. A close friend told me "there are other companies out there who ARE what Google USED TO BE" which is to say, very lean and intimate. I love the startup mentality and the opportunity to make huge moves with everything you work on. Google is like a very large ship now; many oars must move in order to effect a turn or feel the ship shift slightly in direction.

Advice to Management

If you are bringing your "best practices" from your previous org, and implementing them just to prove your value to the company, STOP NOW. Get on the front line; the company was best when it was "flat" which is to say, everyone was a builder and not simply administrative. When I started, I was one person removed from the VP of my group (who is now the "Global VP"). When I left there were SEVEN levels of positions between us. I can say, they were not all necessary.