Google - building SMB partnerships with Google | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"building SMB partnerships with Google"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Inside Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great. From everyone that I talk to, everyone says all the free food in the world can't replace the caliber of people one works with... I totally agree. Onsite massage therapist and all the food you can eat is great but the people I work with are smart, forward thinking, and thinking about what is best for the users and company.

Cons

Very fast paced. Reorgs all the time. If you're not proactively bettering your position in the company you can find yourself "reorg'ed" out of a position. Google Offers is an internal starup so very volatile.

Advice to Management

Great job

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "It was an adventure"

Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Sourcer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It was great working here as I learned so much. If they see you are working hard they will stop at nothing to help you succeed at what you are doing. The free food, gym access, concerts, game rooms, and snacks are nice as well. They let you use the shuttles as free and they would like you to pay to use them but I never did like most contractors.

Cons

About 500 recruiters competing against you so makes it very rough. Some of them are not googly that they will step over you to get it the hire not you. Its so big you can get lost and not get noticed the whole year you are there.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your workers. I had the Director walk by me so many times and never even got a hi.

2. "Fascinating Company, but Getting Larger Every Day"

Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great talent
    - Fast Paced
    - Wonderful culture of innovation

I have met wonderful people at this company who truly inspire. They are smart, efficient, and almost everyone goes the extra mile. It's a company that values kindness as well (Don't Be Evil!) The people who don't fall into this category are so rare that they almost become special in their own right- shooting stars of below-average performance. Most everyone is fantastic.

Cons

- Rigid promotion cycle
    - Visibility is very hard in such a large company

The promotion cycle is very rigid, which isn't well aligned with the type of talent the company recruits (young go-getters who work hard but expect to see a correlation between effort and reward). Promotions do come but they are heavily relient on putting in a good amount of time first and being recognized by the right people. Managers really have to go to bat for their employees to get them promoted.

Also, Google is becoming a much larger company. It prides itself on its start-up roots, but it's becoming more and more hierarchical, with less and less opportunities to move up or sideways in the company.

Advice to Management

- Review promotion structures- they are very inflexible
    - It's a great company! Make sure you continue to stay true to the company values as it gets larger and more external pressures threaten to change the focus away from the users.