Google - Its All about the Metrics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Its All about the Metrics"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Perks! Team collaboration, transparency and trust from management to manage your business.

Cons

It is all about the Metrics. On top of achieving above your metrics you need to complete additional high profile projects to get exceed expectations on your performance review. This means you do work ALL of the time even on your vacations!! Most folks feel the burn out since you have to do this quarter after quarter. Especially a tough environment when you have a family.

Advice to Management

You are doing a good job!! However, do ensure consistent quota setting across all teams doing similar work. Nothing is more demotivating than to run at 110mph and see another teammate doing similar work with less of a quota and performing at 50% of that speed, quarter after quarter.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Unlimited resources to change the world, if you want to be a cog."

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlimited resources. Leading products. Smart energetic co-workers. Great perks.

Cons

Competitive to a fault. The review process is entirely political. There's a echo chamber. Your individual contribution is probably irrelevant to the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Change the review process to acknowledge the importance of more than just code releases.

"Harassed on the job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - Shuttles
    - Smart people
    - Flexible hours
    - 20% time

Cons

- Food didn't taste that great
    - Long hours
    - Shuttles crowded
    - Good luck finding those smart people
    - Good luck getting 20% time

- No freedom to move around to new teams, promotions difficult

- Many employees were extremely weird, even for me

- Dreary, depressing campus where everyone seemed unhappy and worried about being seen as stupid. Literally, the place was filled with insecure people that took every opportunity to make themselves feel smarter than everyone.

I was singled out and harassed everyday for reasons unknown to me. I was followed around, and whenever I tried to work my co-workers would comment on the code I was writing as I wrote it (or whatever else would throw me off and prevent me from being able to concentrate). They also took workplace monitoring to a new extreme, because it seemed as though everyone around me could access my computer, see what I was doing, and cause my computer to lock up.

I was constantly pushed to interact with my co-workers and to ask questions, but each question asked was met with a non-answer and a dismissive attitude as though they were worried I'd use the answer to show them up.

At the end of the day it was just a job as the culture was not as advertised.

Advice to Management

Facebook, though fading recently, has implemented your advertised culture better than you.