Google - Everything you've heard and more | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Everything you've heard and more"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, amazing perks, and incredibly passionate coworkers.

While most companies will claim that people are their number on priority, Google is the only company I've worked at that actually delivers on this.

My wife actually almost cried when she learned about the generous paternity leave policy and the "death benefit" provided by the company if anything should ever happen to me. It's overwhelming to see an employer go so far above and beyond just to make their employee's families lives better.

I won't say too much about pay other than that my total compensation this year will be 2.5 times what I received at my previous employer ~2 years ago as a Software Engineer.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult for people who are used to being the "big fish" at their previous company to get used to the fact that they're aren't the leader of the pack anymore.

Work/life balance at my old job was slightly better, but only because very few people had any passion for what they did so everyone was out the door as soon as they hit 40 hours and never answered email after hours.

Advice to Management

Don't get comfortable, keep pushing the boundaries.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Google is a great place to work. Even your worst day at Google is better than your worst days at other jobs."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Venice, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They treat employees very well. Not just be feeding us, but by giving us some degrees of freedom to work on what we want. They pay a lot of attention to employee feedback and actually make changes based on what we say.

The technology is amazing and the people here are as smart as they come. More than likely, the "guy who wrote the book on it" works here.

Cons

It isn't as flexible as it used to be. Career advancement can be difficult if you aren't located in the Mountain View Campus.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "It was awesome!"

Former Employee - Product Quality Evaluator
    Former Employee - Product Quality Evaluator

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits: free food, massages, great campus and awesome team mates. Great pay and work ethic. The trips overseas are fun too.

Cons

Growth is pretty hard. Managers tend to micro manage and that is one of the few reasons I had left.