Google - All in all, still a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"All in all, still a great place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day
Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference.
Working in a place where I feel I can express myself
Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future
I have had a string of excellent managers
I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next
Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative)
Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Work at Google and Change the World."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work at Google are: 1) You want to make a difference in the world, 2) You love a fast paced environment, 3) You love technology, and would kill to be one of the first to see and play with it.

Yes, the perks are great but at the end of the day if your work impacts billions of people in a positive way, it all pays for any of the free gourmet lunches.

Work at Google and be the envy of all your Friends.

Cons

Google is BIG! As much as they do not like admitting it, "There are POLITICS at Google" Much of how Google runs is based on favors or who you know. Also, there IS a developing Hierarchy at Google between the Project Managers and everybody else. Elitism is not an uncommon trait of Googlers who joined Google right out of college.

Advice to Management

Senior management is doing a great job, but you should re-evaluate your project managers since employee happiness is on your list of priorities. You should also discourage elitism, it's not a pretty trait.

"Google is probably the best place to work there is."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Challenging, rewarding work found nowhere else. Without going into detail, Google offers problems found nowhere else in the computer industry, in many different areas. It's also pretty easy to move from one job to another if you find you're not satisfied with what you're doing.

Cons

It's now a large company, with the downsides of that. It's growing and experiencing a certain amount of growing pains. Unfortunately, some people seem not to recognize that what works when a company is just a few hundred or a thousand employees doesn't necessarily work when the company grows to the size Google currently is.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is actually doing a good job, both managing growth within the company and dealing with the inevitable issues that arise when a company becomes as large as Google. With its growth, Google has become a target. They've dealt with this well, I think. They're also doing well in adapting to the political reality of a large corporation in the United States. _And_ they seem to have managed to retain their ethics while doing so.