Google - All in all, still a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"All in all, still a great place to work"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Working with talented, driven people who I can learn from every day
Working in a place where I feel I'm making a difference.
Working in a place where I feel I can express myself
Great for the resume. I feel the experience I've had here will be valuable in the future
I have had a string of excellent managers
I get to say that I work for one of the most influential companies of our time.

Cons

It can be hard to advance from one level to the next
Senior management can be very arrogant (I guess it's their prerogative)
Everything is numbers driven, except when it's not

Advice to Management

Let people do what they do best.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Work at Google and Change the World."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work at Google are: 1) You want to make a difference in the world, 2) You love a fast paced environment, 3) You love technology, and would kill to be one of the first to see and play with it.

Yes, the perks are great but at the end of the day if your work impacts billions of people in a positive way, it all pays for any of the free gourmet lunches.

Work at Google and be the envy of all your Friends.

Cons

Google is BIG! As much as they do not like admitting it, "There are POLITICS at Google" Much of how Google runs is based on favors or who you know. Also, there IS a developing Hierarchy at Google between the Project Managers and everybody else. Elitism is not an uncommon trait of Googlers who joined Google right out of college.

Advice to Management

Senior management is doing a great job, but you should re-evaluate your project managers since employee happiness is on your list of priorities. You should also discourage elitism, it's not a pretty trait.

"Higher total compensation than competitors, engineering-dominated company, and incredibly bright coworkers."

Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Higher total compensation than competitors - competitive salaries are augmented by large cash bonuses, equity awards, 401k matching, commuter benefits, and incredible on-campus perks, such as free meals and massages, but also including so much more.

Incredibly bright coworkers. Famous computer scientists from all over the world are working in small teams at Google and the average engineer is able to approach any one of them.

Very thorough annual 360 degree feedback and promotion committees to decide promotions allow individuals to succeed even if there is a disagreement with their direct manager.

Cons

Google hires so aggressively that you don't necessarily get to meet your manager and team mates before you start. There are so many new people coming in each week that they literally can't arrange this. That is a big downside compared to other companies where you would meet your potential manager before agreeing to work there.

Advice to Management

I provided feedback to senior management frequently on Fridays by posing questions at the weekly TGIF session. Google faces a number of technological, regulatory, and employee-retention challenges but I am sure senior management is more aware of these issues than I am.