Google - Great place to work if you're willing to be proactive about your own career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Great place to work if you're willing to be proactive about your own career"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company sincerely works toward its mission to make the worlds information universally accessible and useful. It's big enough that there is bound to be a job that you like, if you're willing to put in the effort of searching it out. People are generally friendly, smart and fun to work with.

Cons

The company can sometimes seem inflexible, and not all parts of the company are as "Googley" as others.
It's not easy to move around to different jobs or different divisions within the company - one must be very persistent to do so.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"If I had a dollar for every superstar wasting away their career at Google, I could by myself a fairly nice BMW 328i."

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Google is the only place I can think of whose majority of employees have a love/hate relationship with it. In a recent survey, most employees said that they were dissatisfied with their career direction/growth and that they were generally unhappy with the scope of their work. At the same time, the vast majority of employees believe in the direction the company is going and believe in senior leadership and would strongly recommend Google as a place to work. Smart enough to know they are capable of so much more and happy enough to not care? Let the good times roll!

If you were a fan of 90210, you are almost too old to work there but just young enough to appreciate the 'perks.'

Some really super cool people who will hopefully find another really cool place to work and do something great with their lives.

BBQ and the other food is ok too

For the few who get to work on really cool things that matter, life is good.

Highly competitive games of simple conversation.

Cons

Amazingly smart people doing amazing mundane work with limited impact and contribution whilst being fattened up to potentially waste away a great career.

Highly competitive atmosphere whereby much of the time creativity is sacrificed.

Paraphrasing Page, "We don't need people who can think of new and cool ideas. We have that already. What we need is people who can execute on the ideas we already have."

Somehow the hiring process, great as it may be, ends up selecting for a disproportionate number of extremely egotistical a**holes.

Low empathy Engineers that border on inhuman "android" like beings not too unfamiliar to those found in a Philip Dick novel where it is asked if they dream of electric sheep. Some do, most do not. But they do dream of self driving, all electric, BMW's.

Restricted Areas: not all Google employees are treated equally around campus anymore and access is limited based on what you do for the company and what group you work in.

The culture is changing (see Restricted Areas): Google has hired roughly 8-10K people per year for the past ~4 years. I can't think of a company that has a better culture to hold on to but, from what I have seen, they are loosing the battle.

Most managers and high potential employees look like they just stepped off the set of 90210.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you don't already think you know...

"Bait and switch"

Former Employee - SWE in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SWE in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It pays well and it has a lot of resources to support big projects. Many of your coworkers will be smart. A few will be brilliant.

Cons

Most of what you hear about working at Google is just hype. The reality doesn't live up to it.

Shitty passive-aggressive middle management.

Systematically rewards only short term results, which leads to exponential compounding of code cruft. I mean they give explicit instructions for calibration and promo to consider only demonstrable benefits of the last 6 months of work, and nothing earlier than that which had a delayed benefit. So the rank and file are forced to be like shitty mutual fund managers obsessed with quarterly results, in contrast to the upper management's supposed long term focus.

When you start they flip a coin and if it comes up tails you are stuck in ads for years against your will.

20% time is a lie. 20% time is essentially unpaid overtime and if god forbid your 20% time takes a risk and fails you will be calibrated as if you had spent that time doing nothing.

Every creative idea is shot down in favor of the same old safe but inefficient crap. All the projects come from the top down. There is no bottom-up innovation in ads because they try to keep everyone 110% busy with top down mandates. The company hasn't really innovated much in years. All their fast growing products are acquisitions or "me too" and the ads infrastructure is bloated and ossified.

There's a lot of witness-tampering when it comes to peer reviews and stack ranks. You aren't allowed to rate your experience working with a person. You're supposed to somehow rate their entire accomplishment including stuff that you had nothing to do with. And if your stack ranks differ greatly from your manager's opinion of the latter they will passive aggressively hint that it will be a reason for firing you.

Valve has a much better stack ranking system where people just rate their own experience working with a person and all feedback is anonymous. Also unlike Valve, Google has no freedom of association with whatever projects you want to do. It's all top-down mandates and selfish horse-trading by psychopathic middle managers.

I've read about the toxic culture that killed Microsoft and it sounds very similar to Google in my experience. A lot of the managers were hired from outside the company and tracked their shitty culture in with them. Perhaps that explains it.

Advice to Management

Fix the incentive structures to reward behavior that furthers the long term interests of the company and the employees. Fire managers that get bad Googlegeist results and promote from within. Make all peer reviews anonymous. Abolish calibration or force the cabal to write a justification for each score. Don't take avoiding conflict to the extreme of being passive-aggressive and failing to communicate.