Google - Good, but if you are remote, you don't fit in | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Good, but if you are remote, you don't fit in"

Former Employee - Biz Dev
Former Employee - Biz Dev

I worked at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great pay, neat to see what is coming down the road and an open culture.

Cons

If you don't live close to an office, you can be superman and not stay on.

Advice to Management

Consider the offsite people if they are performing well.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"If I had a dollar for every superstar wasting away their career at Google, I could by myself a fairly nice BMW 328i."

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Google is the only place I can think of whose majority of employees have a love/hate relationship with it. In a recent survey, most employees said that they were dissatisfied with their career direction/growth and that they were generally unhappy with the scope of their work. At the same time, the vast majority of employees believe in the direction the company is going and believe in senior leadership and would strongly recommend Google as a place to work. Smart enough to know they are capable of so much more and happy enough to not care? Let the good times roll!

If you were a fan of 90210, you are almost too old to work there but just young enough to appreciate the 'perks.'

Some really super cool people who will hopefully find another really cool place to work and do something great with their lives.

BBQ and the other food is ok too

For the few who get to work on really cool things that matter, life is good.

Highly competitive games of simple conversation.

Cons

Amazingly smart people doing amazing mundane work with limited impact and contribution whilst being fattened up to potentially waste away a great career.

Highly competitive atmosphere whereby much of the time creativity is sacrificed.

Paraphrasing Page, "We don't need people who can think of new and cool ideas. We have that already. What we need is people who can execute on the ideas we already have."

Somehow the hiring process, great as it may be, ends up selecting for a disproportionate number of extremely egotistical a**holes.

Low empathy Engineers that border on inhuman "android" like beings not too unfamiliar to those found in a Philip Dick novel where it is asked if they dream of electric sheep. Some do, most do not. But they do dream of self driving, all electric, BMW's.

Restricted Areas: not all Google employees are treated equally around campus anymore and access is limited based on what you do for the company and what group you work in.

The culture is changing (see Restricted Areas): Google has hired roughly 8-10K people per year for the past ~4 years. I can't think of a company that has a better culture to hold on to but, from what I have seen, they are loosing the battle.

Most managers and high potential employees look like they just stepped off the set of 90210.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you don't already think you know...

"Great place to start"

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Solid perks.

Cons

dead locked in your own job. competitive.

Advice to Management

Ask your employees what they want.