Google - Good perks & benefits | Glassdoor

"Good perks & benefits"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Needless to say - great perks - food, facilities, gym, shuttles, medical benefits etc. Decent compensation. Good brand on your resume

Cons

I doubt if the hiring bar is the same outside of engineering - specifically staffing. Most of the leadership have no idea about managing teams. For all the talk of Google being a metrics driven company...staffing seems ridiculously off - they talk in terms of numbers yes but most of the time the leadership barely even knows what targets staffing is chasing. Seniority is rarely rewarded and rather than giving opportunities to top performers for people to grow, politics & smooth talking is rewarded. The problem with Google is that it lulls you into a comfort zone, so you keep doing your job which has decent compensation & perks. But if you are looking to build a career- be prepared to navigate through the red tape & much snubbing- unless of course you can smooth talk your way through. This is not a phenomenon exclusive to Google, though I have seen it to be much more prevalent at Google than elsewhere- mind you that I have worked with several larger global organizations in the past.

Advice to Management

Google is just a big company - its does not have a start-up environment despite what the top brass says. So stop kidding yourself and do something to reduce the bureaucracy - processes are meant to facilitate work rather than restrict people.
Middle management needs to be good at people management - rather than turf-marking.
And yeah work life balance is non existent.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "Great work culture!"

Current Contractor - Program Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Program Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, gyms, lots of perks!

Cons

I have noticed and experienced the Silo effect here.

2. "Awesome"

Pros

Everyone knows about the perks and unconventional culture.

Cons

No comment on this topic.