Google - I build things, and it's fun! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"I build things, and it's fun!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time

Pros

+ Larry wants us to keep the soul of a startup, even though we no longer are one. In some teams, like the ones I've been on, this has been possible - going from an idea to millions of users on a new product in < 2 years. Twice.
+ Product areas work on complex problems with awesome technical infrastructure set up already!
+ Smart peers, awesome project, if you get lucky or a particular team wants you.

Cons

+ Not-as-smart peers if you are not lucky, and possibly less-exciting projects, too. In this case you need to pay your dues on that project for 12-18 months, before being able to transfer.

Advice to Management

Enough with Google+ corrupting every single product in the name of Google+ success - I don't want a +Page for my YouTube account!

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "A great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can change the world while working in Google

Cons

Company gets bigger, more internal competition

"Great company to get you spoiled on perks but culture is getting very corporate."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High salary. Many perks. Great breakfast and lunch. Working with some very smart people. Learning all the Google technology. Free phone or tablet once a year. If you worked on a cool product and post on social media, you would probably have many followers. Company encourages employees to move around within the company. Free shuttle service to work.

Cons

Working with some very smart people can also turn into a bad thing because some smart people are real a** hole sometimes. Company is getting big and corporate. 20% project is available only when 100% is done. Performance review is still a mystery to me. I had gotten bad rating for working my butt off and good rating for not doing much.