Google - Amazing | Glassdoor

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Google full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything about Google is amazing

Cons

Nothing about Google is bad.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "Student Developer"

Current Intern - Student Developer in Buffalo, NY
    Current Intern - Student Developer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Contributed to open source community via Google summer of code program. This is good program for self learning the things

Cons

No onsite, work from home. Thus, if I had any doubt, I had to communicate via phone instead of in person, however, on other side it gave flexibility of working as and when I want

Advice to Management

Spread GSOC program to help students

"Good perks & benefits"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Needless to say - great perks - food, facilities, gym, shuttles, medical benefits etc. Decent compensation. Good brand on your resume

Cons

I doubt if the hiring bar is the same outside of engineering - specifically staffing. Most of the leadership have no idea about managing teams. For all the talk of Google being a metrics driven company...staffing seems ridiculously off - they talk in terms of numbers yes but most of the time the leadership barely even knows what targets staffing is chasing. Seniority is rarely rewarded and rather than giving opportunities to top performers for people to grow, politics & smooth talking is rewarded. The problem with Google is that it lulls you into a comfort zone, so you keep doing your job which has decent compensation & perks. But if you are looking to build a career- be prepared to navigate through the red tape & much snubbing- unless of course you can smooth talk your way through. This is not a phenomenon exclusive to Google, though I have seen it to be much more prevalent at Google than elsewhere- mind you that I have worked with several larger global organizations in the past.

Advice to Management

Google is just a big company - its does not have a start-up environment despite what the top brass says. So stop kidding yourself and do something to reduce the bureaucracy - processes are meant to facilitate work rather than restrict people.
    Middle management needs to be good at people management - rather than turf-marking.
    And yeah work life balance is non existent.