Google - Amazing! | Glassdoor

"Amazing!"

Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA
Current Contractor - Online Operations Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free amenities
Relaxed culture
Shuttles to SF
Car Rentals
Work hard/play hard

Cons

Slow progression
Late work hours
Some work weekends
Sushi run out
Employees disconnected from management

Advice to Management

Hire your contractors when they are excellent talent

Other Employee Reviews for Google

1. "What you've heard is true..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As far as big companies go, I'm convinced that Google is the best place to work. You simply cannot beat the quality of your coworkers, the perks, the benefits... Google is a company that truly cares for their employees.

Cons

It *is* a big company now. I happened to start in 2007, when my team was small and scrappy, which was challenging, but super fun at the same time. The company is certainly much bigger now, and that fun, small, scrappy feeling is fading.

"Excellent Experience"

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for
    - Good pay
    - Perk perk perks
    - Great training program to get people up and running
    - Flexible schedule
    - Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need
    - The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down
    - This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques)
    - TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity
    - The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way
    - The whole team is a political game of favoritism
    - Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored
    - No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract.
    - Started to feel like a sweatshop

After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

Advice to Management

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate!
    - Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children.
    - Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.