Google - What you've heard is true... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"What you've heard is true..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As far as big companies go, I'm convinced that Google is the best place to work. You simply cannot beat the quality of your coworkers, the perks, the benefits... Google is a company that truly cares for their employees.

Cons

It *is* a big company now. I happened to start in 2007, when my team was small and scrappy, which was challenging, but super fun at the same time. The company is certainly much bigger now, and that fun, small, scrappy feeling is fading.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Everything you would expect, good and bad, but never dull"

Former Contractor - Project Manager
    Former Contractor - Project Manager

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are motivated to get things done, and path blockers can usually be detoured around relatively easily. Most of the groups I worked with are very focused and knowledgeable about their products/responsibility areas, and are usually very responsive. Not always the response you are looking for, but responsive all the same. Lots of intelligent people who are also lots of fun to work with. They work hard, and they play hard. There is definitely a sense of internal competition to be the better group/product/solution. Mountain View campus is absolutely amazing, from dining choices to personal amenities.

Cons

Frenetic pace may not be for everyone. Timid people, people who are easily frustrated, and people who have low tolerances for anything new/different/unknown won't survive for long. You have to be ready, willing, and able to make leaps of faith, fast deals and agreements, and keep up the pace or get left behind.

"Excellent Experience"

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- One of the best companies to work for
    - Good pay
    - Perk perk perks
    - Great training program to get people up and running
    - Flexible schedule
    - Perks perks perks - shuttles, laundry, massages, gym, food, drinks, snacks, games, everything you could ever need
    - The company trained me to be very successful in my new company where I have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

- Too big so opportunities for career growth are going down
    - This was mainly my team and not the overall company - manager likes to micromanage and threaten to fire people (one person actually did get fired for disapproving the manager's techniques)
    - TOO many trackers. There was a point in time when I was managing (no joke) 10 manual trackers in Google Spreadsheet (Trix). Manually... and much of the information overlapped. Half of the time is spent in administrative work than on actual productivity
    - The recruiting and sourcing team overall try to shark candidates. As soon as a candidate expires, other recruiters will jump on it. They step on each other's toes. Extremely competitive and not always in a good way
    - The whole team is a political game of favoritism
    - Contractors are unfavored even though most of the team is on contract. Permanent employees are the most favored
    - No value for employees, just work - They offered me an FTC (fixed term contract conversion) when I let them know I was leaving them for a direct competitor even though I had been asking them all year throughout my contract.
    - Started to feel like a sweatshop

After all that, I would do it all over again because this company trained me to be super successful where I'm at now. I have opportunities to move forward which I didn't have at the G.

Advice to Management

- STOP with the excel-like trackers! It's one of the best data companies in the world. Why do the sourcers have to spend so much time on manual tracking of data? Automate!
    - Enough with the micromanagement, we're there to work with Adults not children.
    - Politics. Should go, but Google is too big to not have politics now.