Google - Intern | Glassdoor

"Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Mountain View, CA
Former Intern - Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Food, Life, everything was amazing as far as that goes. You get to work with geniuses.

Cons

low movement possible, most of my friends who are still there are are still in low level positions after many years.

Advice to Management

Let people make startups within google.

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Big company with many startup like qualities"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks, work/life balance, feel valued, little bureacracy

Cons

Allow 20% time to actually be used.

"Great first job out of college! Serious disconnect going on within management."

Former Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Online Operations Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's like working and playing at a university campus that happens to be called Google. Awesome perks to appease those in their 20s and 30s. Great for living up your fresh-out-of-college years. The first few years feel new, shiny, and amazing. Google is practically mecca for engineers.

Cons

That appeal fades over time, though, and it's very difficult to grow inside the company. You'll wonder what good is your Ivy League degree (or similar) in a place like Google where the company recruits and boasts the "best and brightest" simply because it can afford to. You're not able to put your hard work, talent, and aspiration to good use or to anything meaningful. Google is definitely not all that awesome for non-engineers.

Advice to Management

Change is the only constant at Google. I get that. But, seriously, stop changing managers all the time. Try to get really good people who are in it for the long haul. Managers that were extensively vetted and hired by Google directly are generally far better than managers that somehow slipped into Google because Google bought the company they used to work for (I find they tend to be less qualified, capable, and professional). I've had two managers who disappeared the next day to pursue greener pastures with barely any notice. I've also experience three managerial changes that were done in an attempt to address "silos" and "operational duplication" but ultimately put the team through the wringer several times.