Google - Summer 2013 Intern in the New York Office | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Google

"Summer 2013 Intern in the New York Office"

Former Intern - Summer 2013 Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Summer 2013 Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very very comfortable work environment
- Slew of self help and training's
- Great food
- The perks are real and the people are helpful

Cons

Awesome company to work for...No Cons

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Loved every minute."

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food even for contractors (red badge employees). Very smart co-workers. Fun collaboration. Opportunity to get more responsibility to grow your skills. If you work there as a contractor, I recommend trying to apply for and get a full time position as soon as possible.

Cons

It kind of sucks to be a red badge employee. People try really hard not to treat you differently, but the fact is, you are different. As a contractor, you are not a shoe-in for a full-time position, even on your own team. Engineers can have a hard time taking ideas from experts in the application of certain tools.

Advice to Management

Help existing teams build better products, instead of starting from scratch every time. The team I was on, it solved one problem and was patched together to serve the needs of a wider base of users. Research was not really done on competitive products. A product was just "new" and built, without regard for what users might actually need. I was surprised this happened at Google, but I guess it's just the way it is sometimes.

"Amazing colleagues and the company makes it very comfortable to work there."

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Google full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best in class colleagues, big/interesting problems to solve, great perks, competitive salaries, easy to transfer between roles internally.

Cons

I worked at Google for over 6 years and saw a lot of growth during this period. The resulting bureaucracy could be frustrating and certain decisions were nearly impossible to reverse; I often heard statements to the effect of "we analyzed this a few years ago and our decision was X, so we're not going to revisit it now."

Advice to Management

Make sure you reward people for being team players and not just those who toot their own horns the loudest. I saw a number of promotions (in Sales) go to people who had made the best slides that summarized their achievements versus those who flew under the radar but were actually more critical to the success of their respective teams.