Google - Awesome | Glassdoor

"Awesome"

Current Contractor - Sourcer (Tech) in New York, NY
Current Contractor - Sourcer (Tech) in New York, NY

I have been working at Google as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Literally the best job for recruiting possible

Cons

They like to give you busy work occasionally (ie scrubbing lists)

Other Employee Reviews for Google

"Ate lunch with Al Gore, ate lunch on 60 Minutes, worked hard, worked late, missed the ipo."

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a contractor, and you must know that as a contractor your number one job is to make yourself invaluable to Google for an entire year. Be there early, stay late, do everything your're asked to and three or four times that. Go out with your coworkers, go out with your boss, become a Googler even though you aren't. Yes the pay sucks, but you have an opportunity to get your foot in the door. Introduce yourself to Larry and Sergei, make sure they know who you are. Do your job well, and don't be shy about telling others what you are excited about. It's a collaboration mecca. You can learn a lot while you're here, and you can pick a lot of brains that you may never get to rub elbows with again.

Oh and lunch is free, live bands on Fridays, lots of parties, ski trips, etc. Just sneak in, on or into. No big deal.

Cons

Sneaking into company events. Explaining that you're not with adwords but you actually have a meaningful project.

The general disdain most googlers have for the adwords crowd.

No job security, low pay, low respect. For contractors.

If you want to try to get a full time job here, don't have other plans for a year. AT ALL.

Advice to Management

Realize that you have talent in your contractor pool. Keep an eye out for folks who want to work hard and learn more, they deserve your attention. Get rid of people who are all play, keep the ones who struggle to party, but have a great time when they do.

"Working at Google makes other jobs pale in comparison."

Current Employee - Contract Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Contract Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Google full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Talent, Great Perks, Great Vision!!! I wake up every morning excited about coming to work. The people are friendly and supportive. The management is hands off and allows for a solid work/life balance.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons of working at Google beside the fact that I am not allowed to tell anyone what I do, where I do it, or how long I'll be doing it for. haha